News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

marrying someone based on money, or social status.

Started by yepimonfire, December 21, 2011, 01:25:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yepimonfire

right or wrong? can you actually love someone based on wealth and status?

discuss.

Asmodean

I don't like the idea of marriage, but if both parties get what they want, why not..?

You get the money, your partner gets great sex three times a week, or good company... Or whatever.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

DeterminedJuliet

Oh, I'm sure it's possible, but it's not for me.

My husband and I were poor as shit when we met, so it's kind of nice to know that it was genuine interest that brought us together. But people get together and break up for a whole host of reasons. I don't worry too much about it unless it effects my life directly.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Whitney

Why people choose to form a contractual relationship with each other is not a moral issue...so it's neither right nor wrong.

Personally I prefer love as the basis for marriage.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: yepimonfire on December 21, 2011, 01:25:34 AM

discuss.

I think some people can love another based on wealth and status -- some people seem to fall in love based solely on looks or sexual availablity, which doesn't seem to me any more or less strange.  When you get down to it, it's no more strange than my falling in love with people who make me laugh. 

Now, why you marry someone, that's a different issue.  I agree with the rest -- if everybody is honest about what they want and what they have to give in return, and both people are fine with the exchange, go for it.  Really, there's no reason for anyone to be lonely or live on a possibly insufficent single income just because they aren't romantically inclined, or fall in love for unconventional reasons.

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Stevil

discuss.
No such thing as right or wrong, not in the morality sense.
People are free to make whatever decisions they want, based on what ever.

Too Few Lions

yeah, like others have said, it's not a question of right and wrong, just choice. It's not for me as I have no interest in money or status, but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who are driven by those things and would select a partner based on them.

The Magic Pudding

discuss.

What is this love thing?
I suppose it can start from an attraction to wealth but if something else isn't found it probably won't last.
A love based on looks and fascination may founder in poverty. 
Many people probably take some compromise solution.

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 22, 2011, 02:22:08 AM
What is this love thing?

Good question.  And I have no idea what the answer is. ;)

The creature that has taught me the most about love is my cat.  When I look at her, an emotional switch gets flicked, and I am ready to do what needs to be done to ensure her well-being.  How?  Why?  Got me. :-\

She has neither wealth nor fame nor political power, so I have to conclude that for me, those things are irrelevant where love is concerned.
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

Stevil

Quote from: Pharaoh Cat on December 22, 2011, 06:08:18 PM
Good question.  And I have no idea what the answer is. ;)

The creature that has taught me the most about love is my cat.  When I look at her, an emotional switch gets flicked, and I am ready to do what needs to be done to ensure her well-being.  How?  Why?  Got me. :-\

She has neither wealth nor fame nor political power, so I have to conclude that for me, those things are irrelevant where love is concerned.

So for you I presume, it is either about how they make you feel enticing you to do things for them, rather than what it is that they can do for you.

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 22, 2011, 02:22:08 AM
What is this love thing?
Ooh! I know! It's when bees and flowers devour each other after having sex... Well, close enough anyways. Tiny Asmo read something about that in a children's book once... While watching something about tits. Filled with silicone. And now, the Asmo just can't get enough of circuit boards... Made from the same stuff as tits, they don't slap you silly if you send an electric current through them! Perfect.  :D

Uh... Anyway. Love. It is that right there, is what it is.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Pharaoh Cat

Quote from: Stevil on December 22, 2011, 06:21:07 PM
So for you I presume, it is either about how they make you feel enticing you to do things for them, rather than what it is that they can do for you.

Where love is concerned, yes.

Absent love, I often calculate utility when interacting with someone.
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

squidfetish

As long as both parties are fully aware of the situation and who wants what and why, then there's no reason why not.  It has been said many times that marriage can often equate to legalised prostitution, although that is not always a popular view...
reptilian overlord

Davin

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on December 22, 2011, 02:22:08 AMWhat is this love thing?

Edit: While the quote has been attributed to Dr. Seuss in many places, the actual author is unknown. But I like the quote all the same.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.