News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What're your English bugbears?

Started by Siz, December 20, 2011, 02:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

So, to complement the Word-geek thread, I'd like to ask what mistakes you find most annoying in the contemporary use of the English language.

I've already outed one - MATHS, not MATH (I'll fight you Americans to the death for this one). Here're some more:

- Their, there, they're.

- 'Could of' instead of 'could have'.

- Extraneous use of apostrophe's... (just like that).

- txtspk.

So, give me some more by which to be enraged.

I ask for merciless intolerance for anyone in this thread making spelling, grammatical or punctuative mistakes... and welcome the same personally!

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

DeterminedJuliet

I recently sat at a table with several English grad students when a vicious fight broke out:

According to the most recent edition MLA hand-book, each new paragraph must be indented to distinguish itself from the previous paragraph. However, the manual also requires that the first paragraph be indented. One student thought this was an outrage because, if it is the first paragraph, it doesn't need to be distinguished from the preceding paragraph. He was sticking to his guns, no matter how many times everyone else pointed out that it was the manual. Oh no, he insisted, the manual was wrong!

On a personal level, my older sister consistently misspells my son's name. It's not a crazy complicated or made up name, it's traditionally Irish and it's pretty phonetic. But she always changes the "o" in his name to an "e"; even if I have JUST written out his name, or she's commenting on a picture of him with his correctly spelled name right there. It drives me batty. 
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

I like imitating speech, I s'pose I shouldn't, I just do it 'cause I like the sound of it.

I have caught myself making mistakes with their, there, they're.

I don't know when decimate lost its association with a loss of one in ten.  It is annoying when a fire kills 95% of a town but why understate the misfortune by describing the town as being decimated?

Asmodean

Quote from: Scissorlegs on December 20, 2011, 02:18:07 PM
- Their, there, they're.
Also, theyr, thar and other variations.

Then and than comes to mind, although I can be guilty of messing those up myself on occasion.

Also, there is his versus he's...

Ooh, I suppose my list would be a long one, were I to really sit down and compile it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Oh, man!, did I really spell bugbears wrong?!

Kill me now...

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

Quote from: Scissorlegs on December 20, 2011, 04:17:32 PM

Kill me now...
I must say I did wonder what a bugears was  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

IMO bugears was more fun.  ;D

As a student of linguistic history I try not to hate any new developments.  I don't always suceed.

I do feel very sad because most speakers have lost the feel for pronoun agreement unless the pronoun stands next to the noun.  Even these days, no native speaker would say He spoke to I, but stick a small distraction in the middle and they'll happily come out with He spoke to my friend and I.  OMFSM, have we sunk to this?  Objectively, I know that the language has now lost so many grammatical agreements that speakers are bound to lose the feel for the few we have left  But I don't like it.  Take me back to the days when English had solid grammar you could chew on.

DeterminedJuliet

Oh, I'm also not a fan of the "American" spelling of things, i.e. "color" instead of "colour" that kind of thing.

Upon some googling, I've found a neat chart comparing UK/Canadian/American spelling.
It's large, though, so I'll post a link: http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/BritishCanadianAmerican.htm
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Siz

Quote from: OldGit on December 20, 2011, 04:40:01 PM
IMO bugears was more fun.  ;D

As a student of linguistic history I try not to hate any new developments.  I don't always suceed.

I do feel very sad because most speakers have lost the feel for pronoun agreement unless the pronoun stands next to the noun.  Even these days, no native speaker would say He spoke to I, but stick a small distraction in the middle and they'll happily come out with He spoke to my friend and I.  OMFSM, have we sunk to this?  Objectively, I know that the language has now lost so many grammatical agreements that speakers are bound to lose the feel for the few we have left  But I don't like it.  Take me back to the days when English had solid grammar you could chew on.

My mum always used to correct us (used to always correct us???... corrected us always???) to say 'someone and I', instead of 'me'. I continue to do this with my kids, but I fear it's just pissing in the wind because they're gonna be the odd ones out at school for talking properly.

I wonder what you, or anyone else thinks of the emergence of the jamaican twang that has come into common use, particularly in South and East London. I cannot bear to be spoken to in this lazy, pseudo-accent. I certainly will not accept this kind of disrespect around me in the work environment. But we are led to believe this is just another progression of regional accents. Am I just being curmugeonly or am I right to defend pronunciation of 't's and denounce a falsified accent?

joeactor

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on December 20, 2011, 05:01:45 PM
Oh, I'm also not a fan of the "American" spelling of things, i.e. "color" instead of "colour" that kind of thing.

Upon some googling, I've found a neat chart comparing UK/Canadian/American spelling.
It's large, though, so I'll post a link: http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/BritishCanadianAmerican.htm

Great chart (bookmarked it ;-)

I'm a big fan of differences, both in spelling and pronunciation.  I think it gives color (or colour) to our expression of language.
(but some things are just wrong, like its, it's, and its' usage)

I understand that spelling differences have arisen as people migrated, but what about words like "aluminium" vs. "aluminum"?
There's a whole extra syllable in that one!

With indigenous dialects and languages disappearing on a regular basis thanks to globalization and the internet, will it be long before there is one common language?  Should it be English?  Or maybe Mandarin?

Esperanto anyone?
JoeActor

p.s. and don't get me started on "whom".

Siz

I understand that spelling differences have arisen as people migrated, but what about words like "aluminium" vs. "aluminum"?
There's a whole extra syllable in that one!

I think you'll find there's one missing... ;D

AnimatedDirt

While spelling and grammar may differ, I think we should agree that there is no sense in English accents.  I am blessed to have no accent at all having been born into the purest area of spoken English.  So. Cal.

My proof:  Listen to most all singers that sing in their native language of English (Brit/Aussie/U.S.).  The pronunciation is almost the same.  With the exception of thick Irish English, they all sing with what I call the So. Cal.  English...that's to say, with no accent at all.

TIC.

Stevil

Yes, and then Microsoft Office defaults to American, Nek Minute we have Kiwis writing documents or putting up presentations in American, Zed's everywhere, but those U's, where'd they go?

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Stevil on December 20, 2011, 06:11:31 PM
Yes, and then Microsoft Office defaults to American, Nek Minute we have Kiwis writing documents or putting up presentations in American, Zed's everywhere, but those U's, where'd they go?

Yes! Curse those misleading red squigglies!

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on December 20, 2011, 04:30:16 PM
Quote from: Scissorlegs on December 20, 2011, 04:17:32 PM

Kill me now...
I must say I did wonder what a bugears was  :D
The Asmo did as well, but he found out that a bug-ear must be the same as... Well, a burr in the butt.  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.