News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Whats your ancestral heritage

Started by Crow, December 04, 2011, 10:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 05, 2011, 11:07:20 PM
I would think that it would be awesome to know the details of your ancestors lives, and some happenings that almost caused you not to exist. That's cool.

(I've been playing too much Assassin's Creed lately, in which the protagonist revisits and relives his ancestor's memories.)

Unfortunately I'm too lazy to bother searching through genealogical records, and too broke to pay someone to do it :P 

The Mormons probably already know your ancestry.  They keep records on it, so in case you convert, they can baptize you for all your dead relatives.  I happen to have a family that kept up with the stuff, so I generally know my heritage.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 06, 2011, 03:22:00 AM
I would think that it would be awesome to know the details of your ancestors lives, and some happenings that almost caused you not to exist. That's cool.

(I've been playing too much Assassin's Creed lately, in which the protagonist revisits and relives his ancestor's memories.)

Unfortunately I'm too lazy to bother searching through genealogical records, and too broke to pay someone to do it :P 

The Mormons probably already know your ancestry.  They keep records on it, so in case you convert, they can baptize you for all your dead relatives.  I happen to have a family that kept up with the stuff, so I generally know my heritage.

So if I want to know my ancestry and don't have the money to pay anyone to do it, all I need to do is join the mormons? Hmm....

I don't think my dead relatives would like that though...I have the feeling that they would've been very anti-mormon when alive ;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 06, 2011, 03:32:51 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 06, 2011, 03:22:00 AM

So if I want to know my ancestry and don't have the money to pay anyone to do it, all I need to do is join the mormons? Hmm....

I don't think my dead relatives would like that though...I have the feeling that they would've been very anti-mormon when alive ;)

No, you don't have to join them. Here's a link to ancestry.com, the Mormon genealogy site. Might as well make use of their data bank.

http://www.ancestry.com/

xSilverPhinx

Pharaoh Cat

I'm seven parts Italian, one part Irish.
"The Logic Elf rewards anyone who thinks logically."  (Jill)

OldGit

I hope it's the drinking bit that's Irish and the cooking parts are Italian!  ;D

Cecilie

The world's what you create.

Brent

German-Irish
It's basically the best as you have an excuse to be drunk and angry for no reason.
Quote from: Thomas JeffersonEvery generation needs a new revolution.

Quote from: Giovanni AuditoreA day will come when men no longer lie and cheat each other. And on that day, we will see what mankind is truly capable of.

history_geek

As far as I know, I'm about as pure Finn as one can be, from my mothers side at least. I do know I have some distant relatives living in US and Australia, and my great grandmother did live US for a time as a child, but she and her parents came back to Finland pretty soon. My fathers side is more of a mystery to me, and I don't think I'm related to anyone too famous even around these parts....

Though if I understood correctly, on of my great grandfathers who fought during the Winter War was a nasty peice of work, making a bit of a raid to one of the mottis (for those who are not falmiliar with the term, in 1939 when the Soviets attacked Finland, their columns were bogged down in the northern log roads and successfully chopped up into small pockets of resistance, that we call motti's. And motti is also a measure of wood ;) ). As I understood it, my great grandpa had been trained in the old Imperial Russian army (well, the Finnish Guard to be exact, which was its own independt group, rather then a part of the "regular" army), and he spoke russian, somewhat. After the last actual officer had croaked in his unit, he was placed in command, and he decided to make the Soviets very miserable. He asked around for other soldiers who could speak russian, and took a some of them with him to the motti, and he told them that under any circumstances they were not allowed to even cuss in finnish ("No russian", anyone? ;) ). Then, using long knives, they started to thin down the poor buggers every night, and a few days later the Soviets gave up and surrendered. They apparently said that some of their soldiers had suddenly gone mad and started to stab their own soldiers.

I just have to wonder what kind of stories he would have been able to tell me, if I could have met and asked him  :o
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Sweetdeath

XD I like your emotes, silver.
I drew that little guy a few years ago.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Sweetdeath on December 07, 2011, 10:42:48 PM
XD I like your emotes, silver.
I drew that little guy a few years ago.

It's a good drawing, I like manga styles ;D

Sgtmackenzie

German, Dutch, and Indian with a bit of jew back there somewhere along with who knows how many others.    Like most American's, I'm your typical mutt.