News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Christmas-time is here.

Started by Fi, November 22, 2011, 05:21:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BullyforBronto

Xmas time is great. Food, alcohol, family. To me it has nothing to do with the baby Jesus.

And, for all of you Xmas music haters, Irving Berlin was a genius. If you're a songwriter, you have to respect him. I am convinced that most of the early Beatles songs were influenced by his chord progressions.

Oh, and you can't beat The Pougues' "Fairy Tale of New York." The best Xmas song ever written.

MinnesotaMike

Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 22, 2011, 04:48:52 PM
I hate Christmas music. With a fiery passion.

^This, and the oft repeated question "why aren't we this nice all throughout the year?"

I have a hard time compiling a list of 'good gift ideas' (apparently essentials don't count lol), and a harder time coming up with the money for others. But the food... lefse, pierogies, sausage, pickled herring... worth it. My family makes an annual run into Minneapolis to get legitimate Swedish and Polish food every year. The tradition is great, and when you're away at college it's nice to see family again.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: BullyforBronto on November 23, 2011, 02:31:57 AM
And, for all of you Xmas music haters, Irving Berlin was a genius. If you're a songwriter, you have to respect him. I am convinced that most of the early Beatles songs were influenced by his chord progressions.

Oh, and you can't beat The Pougues' "Fairy Tale of New York." The best Xmas song ever written.

Perhaps you have a different selection in other countries, because we have to deal with stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhg33LNL2ts
But it's not just one version. I hear about three new ones every year, and I avoid Christmas music as much as possible. Up until tonight, I had never heard "Fairy Tale of New York" either.
Absence of knowledge is not reason for faith.

I'm infallible (if I'm not mistaken)

Tank

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on November 23, 2011, 01:48:10 AM
Quote from: Tristan Jay on November 22, 2011, 02:36:32 PM
The thing is, I don't love the songs.  Every year, it's the same annoying stock collection of songs, and the new ones that seem to get added to the list are the ones that I didn't like from the get go. 

I love the songs, both secular and religious, for about a week or 2 and after that I just want to take a gun to the radio.  I can stand to hear about some mutant reindeer and his shallow reindeer pals only so many times, and even the little drummer boy gets annoying after the 1,136,678,395th time I've heard about him.  Unfortunately, some stations start playing Xmas music before Thanksgiving which seems to me really overdoing it.
I do miss Christmas carols, in particular 'Once in Royal David's City' I could sing that really well (IMHO) when I was a kid. And where else do you get to do communal singing except at church?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: BullyforBronto on November 23, 2011, 02:31:57 AM

I do like that one, and the John Lennon song.

Another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwikfLtjfHQ

Stevil

Buddy

Quote from: MinnesotaMike on November 23, 2011, 08:05:08 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on November 22, 2011, 04:48:52 PM
I hate Christmas music. With a fiery passion.

^This, and the oft repeated question "why aren't we this nice all throughout the year?"

I have a hard time compiling a list of 'good gift ideas' (apparently essentials don't count lol), and a harder time coming up with the money for others. But the food... lefse, pierogies, sausage, pickled herring... worth it. My family makes an annual run into Minneapolis to get legitimate Swedish and Polish food every year. The tradition is great, and when you're away at college it's nice to see family again.

Pickled herring= Best food. Ever.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Tank on November 23, 2011, 08:10:28 AM
I do miss Christmas carols, in particular 'Once in Royal David's City' I could sing that really well (IMHO) when I was a kid. And where else do you get to do communal singing except at church?

They just don't have those wandering choruses anymore.  Here's a non-Xmas song I wouldn't mind hearing carolers sing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3woM079L_4&list=PLD6D8E84BFF9FFC9F&index=15&feature=plpp_video

but this traditional Xmas classic can't be beat either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUZsYRjg378&list=PLD6D8E84BFF9FFC9F&index=17&feature=plpp_video
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

xSilverPhinx

I love how this thread turned into how people say they hate Christmas carols to 'which carols do you like?'

;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Asmodean

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 23, 2011, 04:21:00 PM
I love how this thread turned into how people say they hate Christmas carols to 'which carols do you like?'

;)
Well then, here is some more appropriate input. Asmo style.

Carols I like: none
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 23, 2011, 04:21:00 PM

;)

Thread drift, it's inevitable.  Maybe a separate thread should be started for holiday frou-frou we love.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

I'm not criticising it anything, I just find it humourous how it all changed ;)

Carry on, by all means, maybe good carols really do exist ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

OldGit

For me, there are few good carol texts, but many superb tunes.

My favourite is Auf, Tochter Zion, schmücke Dich, also O Little Town, Silent Night, Tannenbaum ....

Tristan Jay

I do like "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" when done in a traditional way (as opposed to a modern pop rendition), I find the melody to be haunting in a pleasingly melancholy way.

I also like "Hark! Hear the Bells" as it's used in the first Home Alone movie; when the kid realizes that he has to get back home to wage war on the burglars; it's cool how as he runs along, the house lights start springing on as he passes, heralding the battle to come...

It's the simple, random things in life sometimes...

Sweetdeath

I like Futurama's xmas best.

Anyway, I don't celebrate it. It's not religious, but a consumer holiday, where stupid people buy crappy gifts they can't really afford, or else they feel left out.

The streets and shops are crowded til mid January, which annoys me. And I sympathize greatly with those who have to work black friday.
Xmas is meaningless to me; religious aspects aside.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.