News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Catholics say the Crusades and the Inquisition were a good thing

Started by highway17, November 07, 2011, 09:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highway17

Response from a Catholic priest about the Crusades and the Inquisition.

"The Inquisition was intended not to convert people, but to find people who were outwardly claiming to be Christian but secretly practiced another religion, such as people who had become Christian outwardly, but who were still secretly practicing anti-Messianic Judaism, Islam, or Albigensianism, this last being a religion claiming that there are two gods, one good and one evil. The inquisition was thus an attempt to protect the purity of the Christian community.

Also point out that the Protestants had a counter-inquisition that killed Catholics. Thousands of Catholics were killed in England alone after the Reformation struck there. The same thing was true in Ireland and other areas where the Reformation came. John Calvin, for instance, was known for burning people at the stake.

In addition, Protestants were the big witch-burners. Witch burning never caught on in Catholic countries. When the Spanish Inquisition examined the cases of reported witches, it almost invariably concluded that the charges were false and the accused were not guilty. But tens of thousands of supposed witches were burned at the stake, hanged, or drowned in Protestant countries, including the American colonies."

Asmodean

Of course they say crusades and inquisition were good - Those were, after all, ways to please Yahweh the bloodthirsty.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Gawen

The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

highway17

Excuse my French, but no shit they pretended to not be Christians (how they knew this is a good question.) How would you like it if I said "BE A CATHOLIC OR DIE!!"

DeterminedJuliet

what. the. fuck.
If you think the entire history of the Catholic faith was all rainbows and sunshine, you, my friend, are being willfully ignorant.
This isn't the most scholarly of sources, but you get the idea, http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/vatican/esp_vatican29.htm

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Too Few Lions

Never mind the Crusades, I'd love to know what that priest thinks of the laws of the early Christian emperors like Constantius, Theodosius and Justinian. How would he interpret edicts like;

'It is decreed that in all places the temples should be closed at once, and after a general warning, the opportunity of sinning be taken away from the wicked. We decree also that we [the populace] shall cease from making sacrifices. And if anyone has committed such a crime, let him be stricken with the avenging sword. And we decree that the property of the one executed shall be claimed by the city, and that rulers of the provinces be punished in the same way, if they neglect to punish such crimes.' (Theodosian Code 16.10.4)

I guess it was ok to murder pagans because they worshipped the wrong gods  ::) It's nice to know that Catholic priests can choose to ignore the millions of non-Catholics that the Church has murdered over the centuries!

cncracer

Death of non-catholic has never been a problem for the Catholic Church. The Church is without a doubt the most violent of the Christian faith if you measure it by a body count. I don't stop with the crusade but continue to the killings in WW II of not only Jews but also members of the Orthodox members, and anybody who recognized them for what they are. It still is continued as the Church pushed the 1999 Serbian issue killing thousands, and now in Africa with their No Condom rule are killing millions again. I have read the Christian faith has killed 250,000,000 people, I suspect 99% of those are linked to the Catholic Church. A sane world would charge them with crimes against humanity and close their religion down.   

Sandra Craft

Quote from: highway17 on November 07, 2011, 09:58:32 PM

(tap dancing etc. snipped because, really, same old-same old)

This embarrassing but knee-jerk defensiveness is common to people who find themselves on the wrong side of history.

Recently, some people in the American South defended slavery as "not that bad".  And the excuse of "they (the North) were mean to blacks too" has long been in use.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Firebird

Nice. Keep it coming priests. Every time you open your mouths, more Catholics get disgusted and leave.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

cncracer

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on June 25, 2012, 07:58:24 PM
Quote from: highway17 on November 07, 2011, 09:58:32 PM

(tap dancing etc. snipped because, really, same old-same old)

This embarrassing but knee-jerk defensiveness is common to people who find themselves on the wrong side of history.

Recently, some people in the American South defended slavery as "not that bad".  And the excuse of "they (the North) were mean to blacks too" has long been in use.

It was not just the south with slaves. The christian bible said slavery was OK with their god; they used it to enslave millions of all cultures and races. This slavery was just the tip of the inhumanity they inflected on non-Catholics, and as late as 1999 were still trying to do.   
I was surprised to find how bad the Irish slave trade was. I never heard one word on it till about four years ago. Strange how history was change to make the RCC look less guilty of the atrocities we know they committed

markmcdaniel

Lets see the defense goes something like this.
Gentlemen of the jury the prosecution has said some nasty things that happen to be true about us. But, we say that it really is not as bad as it seems. We did not use the inquisition to force people to convert. We had other ways to do that. No what we used the Inquisition for was to track down and punish evil people. Like those who commit blasphemy and heresy as well as those people he refuse to really become members of our religion like we told them to. Now the opposition has said that we use torture to extract confessions. This is true, but, as we all know only the guilty confess and besides its for the good of their souls. And it is also true that we confiscate the money and property of those we find guilty, but, we do give some of it as a reward to the accuser and if they repent we let the guilty persons family keep some. Besides, the other team is nice to us and they are even worse to Witches and others than we are.
The more that I look at this the more it looks like an apologist trying to defend the indefensible. 
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

OldGit

"OK, OK, we killed 17½ million but they killed 18¼ million.  That makes us white as snow."

Sweetdeath

Whatever makes you pieces of human garbage sleep better at night.  :( :(
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: OldGit on June 26, 2012, 10:19:49 AM
"OK, OK, we killed 17½ million but they killed 18¼ million.  That makes us white as snow.
It also makes one of them on the side of the angels. I am just not sure which side.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Ali

Quote from: Sweetdeath on June 26, 2012, 08:19:36 PM
Whatever makes you pieces of human garbage sleep better at night.  :( :(

Pieces of human garbage?  Meant to be thrown away?   :-\