News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Underwater cloaking device

Started by Crow, October 04, 2011, 07:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

Underwater cloaking device

QuoteThe single-beam mirage effect, also known as photothermal deflection, is studied using a free-standing, highly aligned carbon nanotube aerogel sheet as the heat source. The extremely low thermal capacitance and high heat transfer ability of these transparent forest-drawn carbon nanotube sheets enables high frequency modulation of sheet temperature over an enormous temperature range, thereby providing a sharp, rapidly changing gradient of refractive index in the surrounding liquid or gas.

Cool  :o
Retired member.

Tank

Well actually 'hot' might be a more apt exclamation!  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Siz

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Asmodean

Cloaking has been a possibility for some time now.

One way I've been reading about involves, as I seem to remember, some kind of fiberoptics with the intention of "bending light" around an object. Basically, what you then see is that which is right behind the objet. As I understand, the tech is far too expensive and far too far from perfect to be applied quite yet though.

I'll see if I can find the article and translate it later... If I can remember, that is.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.