Author Topic: Why God?  (Read 6041 times)

BooksCatsEtc

• Surprisingly OK
  • Global Moderator
  • Guardian of Reason
Re: Why God?
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2016, 07:51:29 PM »
I realize this is a bit Johnny-come-lately, but I came across this post by a former Xtian that addresses the whole religious comfort issue:
Letting Go of a God who Holds Everything.

from the blog post:
In the end it will be the psychological needs of the reader which determine how this book is interpreted, whether we admit it or not. Most read it as a daily horoscope, oops I mean devotional, opening its pages each morning in hopes of finding a message from God for their individual needs today. It’s a magic book, you see, and God will use it to speak to each of us individually, giving us exactly what we need for the day.

I remember thinking like this, and I remember how much comfort it brought me at the time. I learned to read the Bible as if it were God speaking to me personally, as if the whole book were in some way written out in order for me to know what to do from day to day. And sure, I knew that wasn’t really true, ultimately. I knew it was written for other people at other times and places, but I believed God could still do both: speak to them and speak to me at the same time. That was the kind of God I believed in.

And you know what? That really met a deep psychological need. If you’ve never been inside that world, you may not appreciate how powerful that can be.
Sandy

"I think this is the prettiest world -- as long as you don't mind a little dying, how could there be a day in your whole life that doesn't have its splash of happiness?"  from The Kingfisher, by Mary Oliver

Icarus

• The wise one.
  • Has an Invisible Dragon in Their Garage
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2016, 08:11:44 PM »
I think that Julia Sweeny does a lengthy skit called "letting go of God". She is funnier.

Essie Mae

• Free to think.
  • Doesn't Believe the Universe Was Made for Them
  • I Hope Uncle Bert is still my friend.
« Reply #152 on: October 31, 2016, 10:57:05 AM »
I think that Julia Sweeny does a lengthy skit called "letting go of God". She is funnier.

Happened to watch this just a couple of days ago, and I agree. Not sure I agree with her stance on religion being not all bad. Yes, there is some good; I know an ex-drug addict who had her life completely turned round about 30 years ago, and she as maintained the change but it's still all about mind control and fear inducement.
ESs
Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people; otherwise there would be no religious people. House MD

existentialcrisis

• Beginning to See the Wedge
« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
Science is unlocking the reason.

1. It's in our DNA as an evolutionary trait. It's called pareidolia.

2. Humans look for patterns in nature to fill in the gaps. The less control we have, the more we see a cosmic figure. They did tests about it. Hence more belief among the poor.

3. It's linked with the linguistic part of the brain, in the neocortex. As we evolved it got more complex as an additional structure to our reptilian brain.

Watch through the wormhole with Morgan Freeman. Episode is called: Did we create God or did God create us?
There are no facts, only interpretations. - Friedrich Nietzche

The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason. - Benjamin Franklin.

Arturo

• Formerly known as Apathy
  • Knows Who'd Win a Fight Between Superman and Batman
  • Atheist, Humanist, and Champion
    • You two dig up, dig up dinosaurs?
« Reply #154 on: December 09, 2016, 10:55:09 AM »
Science is unlocking the reason.

1. It's in our DNA as an evolutionary trait. It's called pareidolia.

2. Humans look for patterns in nature to fill in the gaps. The less control we have, the more we see a cosmic figure. They did tests about it. Hence more belief among the poor.

3. It's linked with the linguistic part of the brain, in the neocortex. As we evolved it got more complex as an additional structure to our reptilian brain.

Watch through the wormhole with Morgan Freeman. Episode is called: Did we create God or did God create us?

So the Morgan Freeman show is what you are using as a source for your points?
But, uh...well there it is.

Arturo

• Formerly known as Apathy
  • Knows Who'd Win a Fight Between Superman and Batman
  • Atheist, Humanist, and Champion
    • You two dig up, dig up dinosaurs?
« Reply #155 on: February 07, 2017, 02:53:55 AM »
There is something I recall from the film "The Unbelievers". It was called something to that affect anyway. But the point is was that the people who feel they have no control over there lives are the group that has more people who are religious. And there are more liars in this group also.
But, uh...well there it is.

Gloucester

• Touched by His Noodly Appendage
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2017, 03:50:18 AM »
There is something I recall from the film "The Unbelievers". It was called something to that affect anyway. But the point is was that the people who feel they have no control over there lives are the group that has more people who are religious. And there are more liars in this group also.

Hmm, "You hae to be a fatalist to believe in life ever after".

Does that work?

:D
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

Essie Mae

• Free to think.
  • Doesn't Believe the Universe Was Made for Them
  • I Hope Uncle Bert is still my friend.
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2017, 03:04:45 PM »

Hmm, "You hae to be a fatalist to believe in life ever after".

Does that work?

:D

It does work for fatalists but there are a lot of otherwise intelligent and knowledgeable Christians, and other believers, some of them very powerful, out there who believe in life ever after. They all encourage each other and say it a lot in order to keep their belief alive.
ESs
Rational arguments don't usually work on religious people; otherwise there would be no religious people. House MD