News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Blood Donations - Go do it.

Started by Whitney, June 12, 2011, 01:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

Baring any medical or living situation issues that may bar you from being able to donate blood; go do it. It only takes an hour or less for most people and helps to save lives.  Be the prayer.

This Public Service Announcement has been brought to you by Whitney: the person who is afraid of needles and has a tendency to pass out due to slight loss of blood who donated blood today.

If doing good isn't enough incentive in itself; they have cookies.

Willow

I wholeheartedly agree.  Must kick husband about this.  I tried to donate milk but they wouldn't have that either.  I'm on drugs for my epilepsy which can interfere with the recipients' medication. :)

Asmodean

I'm AB negative, so my blood type is rare and could be life-saving to someone who can not accept different blood (there are conditions that prevent it)

However, having a few piercings through my slimey parts, like the lips, I am disqualified as a donor. Go figure.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

I'm disqualified on medical grounds but my kids aren't and they do give blood. It is particularly appropriate for the twins as my wife needed extensive transfusions when they were born by C-section. I wish I could do it.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Whitney

Quote from: Asmodean on June 12, 2011, 09:54:28 AM
However, having a few piercings through my slimey parts, like the lips, I am disqualified as a donor. Go figure.

that is strange...here they just make you wait a certain amount of months after having a piercing or tattoo (presumably to make sure that any potential resulting diseases have had time to manifest).

Asmodean

Quote from: Whitney on June 12, 2011, 02:48:56 PMthat is strange...here they just make you wait a certain amount of months after having a piercing or tattoo (presumably to make sure that any potential resulting diseases have had time to manifest).
I went to the hospital after about six months after having my lip pierced and they just said "Sorry, kid... That there disqualifies you indefinitely"
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

DeterminedJuliet

I have an intense fear of needles, but this is something that is on my must-do list.

I have to say, though, I am sad about Blood Services Canada's ban on blood donation from the gay community, and I know some people who "boycott" blood donating because of it, though I don't think I ever would. Are there blood donation bans on the gay community in the states/other countries, as well? I am not familiar with blood collection outside of Canada and am presently too lazy to Google. 
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Whitney

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 13, 2011, 12:11:59 AM
Are there blood donation bans on the gay community in the states

Yes, men who have slept with other men are not allowed to donate.  I asked why and the responses from the donation tech was basically "i don't know".  I told her that I assumed they are on it because they are considered in a high risk group for aids.  She said some national board dictates what the centers have to use as questions for filtering out people.  Google is probably more informative on this than me lol.

US also doesn't allow people who lived or visited Europe for 6? months or more during a certain span of years due to a mad cow scare...

Asmodean

Quote from: Whitney on June 13, 2011, 03:52:00 AMUS also doesn't allow people who lived or visited Europe for 6? months or more during a certain span of years due to a mad cow scare...
About the same here, actually.

New partner means disqualification for about half a year. Africa means get-the-f***-out-of-my-hospital. Any other travel outside Scandinavia gets you a short term ban. Except perhaps Asia... Don't know how long they'd ban you for that.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

MariaEvri

oh I would like to give blood. I am O+
The only thing stopping me is that I have a high cholesterol, and I dont know. Will that matter? anyone knows?
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Whitney

Quote from: MariaEvri on June 13, 2011, 01:30:53 PM
oh I would like to give blood. I am O+
The only thing stopping me is that I have a high cholesterol, and I dont know. Will that matter? anyone knows?

It doesn't ask if you have high cholesterol on the donor exclusion questions.  You can call the center and ask them.

I also have O+ and it adds to the guilt if I don't donate regularly since they can use it for almost anyone and other O+s really need it.

Tank

If you live in the UK this links to the reasons why you should not give blood https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

Being a type 2 diabetic the medication I take precludes me from giving blood.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

kelltrill

Thanks for the post, Whitney. You've inspired me to go and donate blood for the first time ever. I haven't yet (so hold the applause), but I'm definitely going to make a plan to now.
"Faith is generally nothing more than the permission religious people give to one another to believe things strongly without evidence."