News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on November 21, 2017, 12:57:38 AM
xSP it a damnable shame that we have to be so delicate about what we say.  I suggest that you might use the term: "I have no religious affiliation at this time" or some other non committal expression.  It is too damned bad.....no it is worse than too damned bad that we have to be so careful in circumstances like yours.  Unsolicited advice: You can not afford to jeopardize your continuing education by alienating your peers or your mentors.  Never mind that they are serenely bigoted.  This is your world to conquer. Do what you have to do to conquer it even it if involves a bit of verbal misdirection.

I can understand your point of view, Icarus, but I also dislike the idea of being "obscure" about my belief system as a humanist But there are whole other discussions here, some would say that you should be true to your belief no matter the consequences. That small minded people are not worth the effort. But if uou are in a minority and if the small-minded are in a position to affect your career, immediately or even in the future . . . Yes, equivocation is perhaps understandable.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Hooch761 on November 20, 2017, 11:20:42 PM
    He looked at me and told me to stay the hell away from him if we deploy.

How Christian of him.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

xSP it a damnable shame that we have to be so delicate about what we say.  I suggest that you might use the term: "I have no religious affiliation at this time" or some other non committal expression.  It is too damned bad.....no it is worse than too damned bad that we have to be so careful in circumstances like yours.  Unsolicited advice: You can not afford to jeopardize your continuing education by alienating your peers or your mentors.  Never mind that they are serenely bigoted.  This is your world to conquer. Do what you have to do to conquer it even it if involves a bit of verbal misdirection.

Quote from: Dave on November 21, 2017, 08:29:54 AM
I can understand your point of view, Icarus, but I also dislike the idea of being "obscure" about my belief system as a humanist But there are whole other discussions here, some would say that you should be true to your belief no matter the consequences. That small minded people are not worth the effort. But if uou are in a minority and if the small-minded are in a position to affect your career, immediately or even in the future . . . Yes, equivocation is perhaps understandable.

I understand choosing your battles when dealing with certain subjects, but in this case I don't think there's a danger of alienating anyone with my reply. Perhaps the word 'atheist' is almost offensive to some, but I think that's precisely why I should use it more often when referring to my stance. Otherwise it might as well remain a pejorative label. Own the label. :grin:

After the fact one of them even added me on Facebook, I hope not as an easy medium to give me pro-religious stuff. :lol: So far so good. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 21, 2017, 11:30:26 AM

Quote from: Dave on November 21, 2017, 08:29:54 AM

I understand choosing your battles when dealing with certain subjects, but in this case I don't think there's a danger of alienating anyone with my reply. Perhaps the word 'atheist' is almost offensive to some, but I think that's precisely why I should use it more often when referring to my stance. Otherwise it might as well remain a pejorative label. Own the label. :grin:

After the fact one of them even added me on Facebook, I hope not as an easy medium to give me pro-religious stuff. :lol: So far so good.

Sounds like you had a reasonable outcone there, Silver! Good. Maybe the person who 'liked' you is a closet atheist!

But, humans often being sneaky and underhand, one just hopes that there are no "undercover" macinatiins or gossip. We have all seen what gossip can lead to online . . . I would not be comfortable living in a country that has a strong belief bias in any direction. Or total lack thereof for that matter.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 21, 2017, 11:48:53 AM
Sounds like you had a reasonable outcone there, Silver! Good. Maybe the person who 'liked' you is a closet atheist!

But, humans often being sneaky and underhand, one just hopes that there are no "undercover" macinatiins or gossip. We have all seen what gossip can lead to online . . . I would not be comfortable living in a country that has a strong belief bias in any direction. Or total lack thereof for that matter.

Yes, maybe.  :D

Time will tell if there was an ulterior motive. And yes, gossip behind one's back can be destructive, especially when a) coming from women and b) the target is not there to defend him or herself.   ::)

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 21, 2017, 12:00:51 PM

Time will tell if there was an ulterior motive. And yes, gossip behind one's back can be destructive, especially when a) coming from women and b) the target is not there to defend him or herself.   ::)

And if personal reputation is an important factor in one's chosen academic ambitions and career. Especially if there is a competitive element - bin there.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on November 21, 2017, 12:04:48 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 21, 2017, 12:00:51 PM

And if personal reputation is an important factor in one's chosen academic ambitions and career. Especially if there is a competitive element - bin there.

How could I forget that?   ::)

Tank

Quote from: Hooch761 on November 20, 2017, 11:20:42 PM
   Silver: I can identify with you regarding the looks you get when you tell some people your not affiliated with any religion.

When I was about to leave the states for my first overseas deployment I had to have new dog tags made. Well, on every set of dog tags they have a space for your religious affiliation. I had mine made out to say "no religious preference".  Which is basically saying your an atheist.

When mine came in our Chaplin came to me and asked me why I chose to have that put on my tags? I told him that I don't believe in any gods. He then asked me "how do you know for sure there isn't a god?" I said "well chaplin, I really don't know for sure but I also don't know for sure that there's not a pink fluffy 6ft tall unicorn in the room with us and we just can't see or hear him?" I then asked him if he was 100% sure there wasn't a pink fluffy 6ft tall unicorn in the room and we just can't detect him?

He looked at me and replied "son,  of course we can't be 100% sure of anything but don't you think it's possible that there's a hell and you might go there?"

I said "it's possible" but isn't it possible that allah is the true god and that you might go to his hell?

The expression on his face was priceless. He looked at me and told me to stay the hell away from him if we deploy.

What an arsehole! The Chaplin not you  :grin:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

I have to write a report but...I feel so sleepy.  :visit morpheus:

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 28, 2017, 11:22:53 AM

Well you can just do it tomorrow ::)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 28, 2017, 02:06:41 PM

I can't, tomorrow's the deadline.  :(

I'm going to write it now.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 28, 2017, 02:29:41 PM

Then what was all that "I feel so sleepy crap"?...and why are you online with us?

Log off of HAF and do your work, or I'll have Mags put a hex on you! >:(

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 28, 2017, 02:41:02 PM

Then what was all that "I feel so sleepy crap"?...and why are you online with us?

:sidesmile:

I'm multitasking.  :P

Seriously though, I am writing the report. :smilenod:

Please don't let Mags turn me into a newt...:worried:

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on November 28, 2017, 03:22:24 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on November 28, 2017, 02:41:02 PM

:sidesmile:

I'm multitasking.  :P

Seriously though, I am writing the report. :smilenod:

Please don't let Mags turn me into a newt...:worried:

You better be...For the time being I'll call off Mags, but not only do you need to get the report done, it needs to be at xSP's highest caliber work.  :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Sandra Craft

QuotePlease don't let Mags turn me into a newt...:worried:

Perhaps we could convince Mags to turn you into a chicken instead.  Then you'd still be able to use a keyboard while being reprimanded.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany