News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velma

My brain is trying to comprehend being called racist for pointing out that the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare, has it's roots in a plan put forward by the conservative Heritage Foundation and similar legislation enacted by Mitt Romney in the state of Massachusetts in 2006.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Quote from: Velma on February 28, 2017, 09:29:00 AM
My brain is trying to comprehend being called racist for pointing out that the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare, has it's roots in a plan put forward by the conservative Heritage Foundation and similar legislation enacted by Mitt Romney in the state of Massachusetts in 2006.

Huh!? Racist!?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

That there's em fighting words.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Guardian85

Just goes to prove there are crazies on the far left, as well as on the right. People with just enough information to get it wrong, who throw buzzwords at anyone who tries to explain things.

Makes me think of that old Steelers song "Stuck in the middle with you". Seems applicable to my political opinions lately.  :???:

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Velma

It appears to be some Trump supporter who's grasp of reality is tenuous at best. 
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on February 28, 2017, 04:40:39 PM
It appears to be some Trump supporter who's grasp of reality is tenuous at best.
Tell us something we don't know!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

I'm normally not a fan of daylight saving here in the US, but at least tonight by turning our clocks forward one hour we'll have eliminated one hour of dickhead's presidency.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Harmonie

Quote from: Father Bruno on March 12, 2017, 03:27:05 AM
I'm normally not a fan of daylight saving here in the US, but at least tonight by turning our clocks forward one hour we'll have eliminated one hour of dickhead's presidency.

If only we could just go ahead and set the clock forward four years.  :lol:

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Arturo

Quote from: Harmonie on March 12, 2017, 04:23:45 AM

If only we could just go ahead and set the clock forward four years.  :lol:

That's like being asked where you want to go if you could time travel and you say "nuclear winter"
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Essie Mae

I've always liked to keep an eye on the US of A's politics but DT and his pronouncements make my flesh crawl. It's a nightmare that I'd rather shut my eyes to, but won't out of respect for you Murrikins who actually have to live with him, (so to speak).
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on March 13, 2017, 01:22:27 PM
I've always liked to keep an eye on the US of A's politics but DT and his pronouncements make my flesh crawl. It's a nightmare that I'd rather shut my eyes to, but won't out of respect for you Murrikins who actually have to live with him, (so to speak).

For me it has all the grisley fascination of a very slow train crash. But with the knowledge that it is not only you guys over the Pond that will suffer.

With the splash from that and the bollocks-up that is Brexit I am not quite looking looking at the future with my typical gung-ho (if usually misplaced) optimism.

Firebird

It's been an eye-opening experience of the worst kind. For all our issues, I was always proud to say I was American. I'm really not anymore. So many countries do a much better job of taking care of their own, and this anti-intellectual denial of basic facts just drives me batshit. I had no idea I lived in a country of this many morons.
I'm not planning on leaving, but I could see a day where we sane states have to secede, or force the others out. Though I'd hate to leave the nukes with those crazy assholes.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Icarus

That's a pretty severe assessment of our collective intelligence and sensibility Firebird.  Sign me up on your side of the argument.  I am sad that our citizenry has become so much less than it could be. On the plus side there are still some sensible even brilliant people among the hordes.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on March 14, 2017, 04:56:40 AM
That's a pretty severe assessment of our collective intelligence and sensibility Firebird.  Sign me up on your side of the argument.  I am sad that our citizenry has become so much less than it could be. On the plus side there are still some sensible even brilliant people among the hordes.

I see elements of "Anywhere" in there! :)