News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Atlas Shrugged Movie

Started by Sophus, February 12, 2011, 10:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

Could this film come at a worst possible time? Every Tea Partier will go see but I'm still willing to bet it will tank.

[youtube:8xyskb9b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W07bFa4TzM[/youtube:8xyskb9b]
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

LegendarySandwich

I tried reading Atlas Shrugged once; I think I got about one-third of the way through it. It was boring bullshit. I probably would have tried to finish it, but my mom (who still censors a lot of what I watch and read -- I don't know if she'd let me read Harry Potter, even now) took it away from me before I could.

I'll probably go see this movie anyways, though.

Whitney

I haven't read it yet...don't particularly want to read it either; I wonder if the movie will be like the book.

LegendarySandwich

Quote from: "Whitney"I haven't read it yet...don't particularly want to read it either; I wonder if the movie will be like the book.
From the looks of the trailer, yes.

I wouldn't recommend the book to anyone. If you want to know what objectivism is, go do a Google search or something.

Will

It's nice to see the fantasy genre isn't dead.  :cool:
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Thumpalumpacus

I have much to owe Rand in terms of personal outlook, but her conceptions of social economics is very stilted.  She apparently doesn't understand that good bedrock is vital for solid buildings.  

It's amazing that the Crash of 08, having come about from Randian deregulation, hasn't brought about a backlash.  It's even more amazing that she held to this nonsense having lived through the American Depression, which was caused by laissez-faire capitalism.

I appreciate many of the precepts I garnered from her about personal responsibility, but quite frankly, this idea that solid economics and ideation is top-down is horseshit.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

terranus

Typical big business republican b.s.  :puke:
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Byronazriel

I've always been fond of Objectivism, if only because it reminds me a lot of serching for good fan fiction... Except the entire experience of sifting through garbage for gold is condensed into a single (albeit roughly defined) philosophical position.
"You are trying to understand madness with logic. This is not unlike searching for darkness with a torch." -Jervis Tetch