News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

What's Civility on HAF?

Started by Will, February 09, 2011, 11:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Alchemidas on May 06, 2011, 05:13:57 PM
Being civil just means putting your point across without resorting to calling someone a naughty word, right?  ;)
No. It's a lot more difficult than that.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ThinkAnarchy

Well, I probably will be in the clear once the rest of the forum opens up at my 50th post. The only forum I've ever had a problem not violating their TOS is gamefaqs, and that's purely because they have a no cursing policy. Sometimes ***** just doesn't have the effect I want to convey.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Abletony

Medusa

I have a genuine question here about civility. Only because it's been used quite alot on these forums. I mean the word and saying someone doesn't have it etc.

I understand the need for civility. In fact it's way better then having some horrid free for all troll fest. I would like to know the opinions about having an opposing opinion and being able to also express that. I disagree with some of the points of view being expressed from time to time. And I'd like to be able to express that disagreement. Not with foul language or being a complete ass. But by being direct and short and to the damn point. I just wanted to get your take on that. Are you able to disagree and not be long winded and be direct and not have someone throw the 'civil' word at you in the process?
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

Tank

Quote from: Medusa on July 26, 2011, 07:55:58 PM
I have a genuine question here about civility. Only because it's been used quite alot on these forums. I mean the word and saying someone doesn't have it etc.

I understand the need for civility. In fact it's way better then having some horrid free for all troll fest. I would like to know the opinions about having an opposing opinion and being able to also express that. I disagree with some of the points of view being expressed from time to time. And I'd like to be able to express that disagreement. Not with foul language or being a complete ass. But by being direct and short and to the damn point. I just wanted to get your take on that. Are you able to disagree and not be long winded and be direct and not have someone throw the 'civil' word at you in the process?
Imagine you are in a formal environment where taking personal digs and pot shots at people is just not done. You can disagree with anything and nobodies going to jump on you just for disagreing unless you put an emotional spin on it that could be seen as pointlessly provocative and just added to shit disturb. Brevity isn't a problem. Asking questions for clarification is often a good way to get your point across withput appearing aggressive or uncivil. The fact that you have made this post also shows that your intent is to be civil, thus if something comes over as a problem people will just point it out. Hope that helps :D
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Medusa

Thanks Tank. It does. I don't necessarily agree with it all per say. I am not one to be non direct or passive in my speech structure. But every forum has a way of conversing. I am on two different Satanism forums. One is completely laid back while the other throws the phrase 'off topic' almost every other posts. It's very 1984 if you ask me and quite frigging boring.

Anywho. I'll try it your way as to get along with others before I go disagreeing.  :D
She has the blood of reptile....just underneath her skin...

kbush

i'm really glad that you said something about this. (:

not your typical...

"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ateo

Thanks Tank for keeping a running score of postings I have left before I'm liberated. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but, according to your last two summaries, I have 10 (ten) postings left. Right? I also have to remember to limit my rants and save ammunition to get to the big one zero, when I will be "Turned Loose".

You should show everyone civility, but what anyone says or thinks, publicly, must stand on it's own. Shoot the message full of holes, that will wound the messenger.

Civility, respect, political correctness .......... shields that religious lunatics hide behind while not showing civility, respect, political correctness or sanity, to the rest of the world. It is generally accepted that religious freedom gives everyone the right to say what they "believe", make a clip about what they "believe",  put it on YouTube, and do so with impunity. I call bullsh*t.

What other field of knowledge allows this?  Mathematics, any of the sciences? No, you have to immediately prove what you say is true or show reproducible experiments that verify your statements. If you don't, the responses will be devastating and immediate, you will be classified as untouchable. Publishing will be close to impossible for you and your career will go no further.

This serves as a bench mark for new scientific ideas and could be a wake up call for half baked ideas. This is an advantage to all professional and lay people and it's an advantage that should be extended to television evangelists, internet evangelists, door to door preachers as well as any and all forms of "missionary" work.

Am I wrong or is missionary work always unsolicited?  Why?

Unn, how many is that now Tank?
"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt."

Whitney

Ateo...read over the forum rules...while we required civility our "no preaching" rule also requires that people support their claims with evidence (as not doing so is simply preaching a point of view).

Or perhaps you already know that and I just don't understand the context of your post.

Tank

Ateo, 5 more to go  ;D

The issue here is really about keeping discussions from degenerating into flame wars. Without a 'civility' clause then the forum turns into a slanging match and the atmosphere degenerates and the forum dies. Particularly as the ethos of this particular forum is that people (irrespective of world view) should at least be able to get along. That's what makes this unique in my experience.

One can say " I think your idea is stupid." Although it's a rather pointless statement in itself, one should really lay out why an idea is 'stupid' rather that simply assert it. However saying "You are stupid." is simply unacceptable as it is a personal attack.

Does that help?

Ateo

Wow ... I see your point ... if I wasn't preaching a point of view, it an excellent imitation.

My apologies, I will try to keep my enthusiastic nature under more control. I must confess my weakness, I enjoyed writing it and enjoyed even more see it in print. I feel terrible about pushing the edges of the rules and hope that this will not stifle the barrage of replies I was hoping to get.

I can't really get into hard debates for another nine postings (Tank, does this make it eight) at which time I get a broader range of topics, not forgetting of course, not to preach. I have taken what you said to heart, although I'm not sure I understand how you can rant, show extreme enthusiasm, or tell someone their thinking is screwed, without sounding a little bit like your preaching. Hopefully, you will pick up on my few small deviations from civility and bring them to my attention.

I'm certain I'll never be a "roll model" but with supervision, I'll strive to become tolerable, you see I like it here and I like the attitude of the people.

Yours in Disbelief

Ateo

"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

"Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt."

Tank

Quote from: Ateo on January 07, 2012, 05:16:27 PM
Wow ... I see your point ... if that's not preaching a point of view, it an excellent imitation.

My apologies, I will try to keep my enthusiastic nature under more control. I must confess my weakness, I enjoyed writing it and enjoyed even more see it in print. I feel terrible about pushing the edges of the rules and hope that this will not stifle the barrage of replies I was hoping to get.

I can't really get into hard debates for another nine postings (Tank, does this make it 8) at which time I get a broader range of topics, not forgetting of course, not to preach. I have taken what you said to heart, although I'm not sure I understand how you can rant, show extreme enthusiasm, or tell someone their thinking is screwed, without sounding a little bit like your preaching. Hopefully, you will pick up on my few small deviations from civility and bring them to my attention.

I'm certain I'll never be a "roll model" but with supervision, I'll strive to become tolerable, you see I like it here and I like the attitude of the people.

Yours in Disbelief

Ateo

4 to go  :)

I think you'll be fine here. Just don't rant AT other members. It's perfectly ok to rant ABOUT what you don't like.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on January 07, 2012, 05:19:41 PM
I think you'll be fine here. Just don't rant AT other members. It's perfectly ok to rant ABOUT what you don't like.
Or, take classes from The Asmo, hide one inside the other and don't let the ever-present Tank spot you  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.