News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

What are you Eating right now?

Started by terranus, February 01, 2011, 06:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Quote from: solidsquid on March 11, 2017, 03:04:08 PM
Quote from: joeactor on March 11, 2017, 02:20:20 PM
Quote from: solidsquid on March 11, 2017, 01:50:01 PM
QuestBar protein bar and coffee...breakfast of champions or the sleep deprived because my dogs don't understand the concept of sleeping in on Saturdays.

I'm hooked on NuGo bars. How's the taste and nutrition on a QuestBar?

All the different ones of the QuestBar I have tried have been really good.  The only mediocre one so far has been the chocolate peanut butter.  So far my favorite is the apple pie one - very tasty.  As far as protein bars go I've been pleasantly surprised with how good these taste.  I also like them because they have low net carbs which was the original reason I tried one.

Cool - thanks... I'll have to try one.

joeactor

Looks like Quest Bars have stevia. I'd rather stick with sugar. Part of why I chose NuGo is they have real ingredients, at least more than most others. NuGo does have a low glycemic line called Slim that I might try...

Dave

Quote from: joeactor on March 11, 2017, 09:32:50 PM
Looks like Quest Bars have stevia. I'd rather stick with sugar. Part of why I chose NuGo is they have real ingredients, at least more than most others. NuGo does have a low glycemic line called Slim that I might try...
If "real" means "natural" for you, Joe, surely stevia is as natural product of  the plant Stevia rebaudiana as sucrose is of the sugar cane. Both have to be processed for purification in factory processes.

Or do you just need that quick calorie kick from sugar?

I use sucralose for sugar reduction purposes, that needs a bit more processing from sucrose but is still more natural than saccharin and without the butter after taste, the other sweetners are tastless to me. Have not found my ideal yet in terms if bars - sugar for a quick hit, complex starches for the next burn then a slow back-up of protein. But we have different brand bars from you guys.

Might have to go back to fruit and a bacon sarnie on wholemeal.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

joeactor

Quote from: Gloucester on March 11, 2017, 09:58:07 PM
If "real" means "natural" for you, Joe, surely stevia is as natural product of  the plant Stevia rebaudiana as sucrose is of the sugar cane. Both have to be processed for purification in factory processes.

Or do you just need that quick calorie kick from sugar?

I use sucralose for sugar reduction purposes, that needs a bit more processing from sucrose but is still more natural than saccharin and without the butter after taste, the other sweetners are tastless to me. Have not found my ideal yet in terms if bars - sugar for a quick hit, complex starches for the next burn then a slow back-up of protein. But we have different brand bars from you guys.

Might have to go back to fruit and a bacon sarnie on wholemeal.
"Natural" is probably not the right word. After all, cocaine and arsenic are both natural, but I won't put those in my body either.

The sugar kick may be a part. I just prefer it. Maybe because more is known or it's been used longer. Kinda got that feeling they'll find something bad with stevia 20 down the line.

Bacon and fruit, however... Count me in!

solidsquid

I was unaware although sugar vs. stevia wasn't a concern for me.  I mainly wanted a bar that didn't have a high amount of net carbs and tasted good.  Good thing about bars like that is there are so many to choose from that you can usually find one that fits your needs.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on March 11, 2017, 12:40:57 AM
I love, love, love cauliflower! I think I mentioned before that I crave it sometimes.  ~I know, weird. :shifty:

I like it in soup and/or raw, as a dip sorta thing. In my country, we wrap it in eggs and fry it. Instead of it being a Chile Relleno, it's a Cauliflower Relleno. :yum:

Edit: I wrote, "we fly it," I meant to say, "we fry it."
Sorry.  ;D

I also love cauliflower, and eat it quite often. One thing I like to do is make "Cauliflower Pearls". You put the cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse them until they turn into little beads (Sometimes you have to stop and remove the florets and cut them because they'll just bounce around as little nubs.

Anyway the finish product should look like this:

You can then quickly sauté them in a little oil with other veggies, or on their own. I've used it them as a rice substitute by making a large pan of them and then serving fish, other veggies, etc...on top.

Tonight as I often do I sautéd some veggies in my cast iron pan. This time I had beets, carrots, onion, brusell sprouts, and the cauliflower pearls, after cooking a short time in the pan in olive oil, seasoning with salt, pepper and some hot sauce I bake in the oven for about 30 minutes at 400. (I stir them around after about 15-20 minutes)
We enjoy them still a bit firm, but you can leave them in longer if you like your veggies soft. Sometimes I add fresh herbs if I have, maybe some rosemary or thyme, or whatever.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

joeactor

Icarus

That is disgustingly healthy looking dish Bruno. I want some of that.

I was day dreaming about the mathematical fate of cows this afternoon. I swear I had not been drinking strong spirits. ( not then but perhaps now) The numbers involved an estimate of half the American population that might consume a quarter pound of beef per day. That is only one Big Mac don't you know.

If I use a quarter pound of meat for perhaps 150 million people, then that comes to 1.5 times ten to the 8th. Divide by four (a quarter pound of meat) which gives us 37,500,000 pounds Lets us assume that a beef cow Will yield 500 pounds of consumable meat per head. divide 3.75 times ten to the seventh by 5.0 times ten to the second and we get about 75 thousand cows per day and a yearly consumption of 365 times 75K which is a big number.  Awww alright I was just messing around with numbers but holy shit that is a lot of cows....about 27 million of them....and a lot of methane from cow poop.

Math hounds feel free to correct my outlandish calculations. No matter the actual number, that is a lot of pasture grazing, corn consumption and tending by cattle ranchers.

Dave

And, Icarus, since lots of cows are kept inside or in near "battery" conditions there is probably a big carbon footprint in the energy needed in feeding and cleaning up after them. Then there is all that transport and processing/cooking . . .

Other beef products are available (even more cows). And how many chickens are slaughtered every day?

I'm all for when GM science invents the salmon flavoured peach, the beef flavoured carrot, the chicken flavoured potato . . . With all the proper proteins, minerals and vitamins of course.

Dave

The sauce is experimental: tomato and garlic purè with mayonaise and cayenne pepper.

I like fish fingers :)

Dragonia

Quote from: Magdalena on March 10, 2017, 06:48:13 PM
Quote from: Father Bruno on March 10, 2017, 06:28:00 PM
i just had a bowl of green and red grapes along with fresh coconut sprinkled on top, i love grapes and fresh coconut,...it was fucking perfect, like sucking on the toes of Madeleine Stowe.
"...like nibbling on the thighs of Selma Hayek."
"...like gently biting the earlobes of Audrey Hepburn."
"...like sucking on the toes of Madeleine Stowe."

Father Bruno>:(
If you ever eat a Jalapeño, I don't want to hear about it!  >:(
HA ha ha, I've been super busy for a while and have come back to catch up and reading through the last few pages of this thread, I was laughing at Father Bruno's descriptions. I'm not gonna be able to keep a straight face while I'm eating my banana today.....
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Pasta Chick

I boiled chicken gizzards with bacon, used the leftover water to cook rice, stir fried cauliflower, onions and oakra in turmeric and pepper and idgaf what anyone says this shit is delicious.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 17, 2017, 12:42:36 AM
I boiled chicken gizzards with bacon, used the leftover water to cook rice, stir fried cauliflower, onions and oakra in turmeric and pepper and idgaf what anyone says this shit is delicious.

Is that organic idgaf?
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Icarus

Lordy, lordy, I just learned a new word, IDGAF.  I had to find it in google, wiki,  or somewhere, but it is a useful word to include in certain conversations as well as when we are winging it with a recipe. (sigh) too soon old, too much to learn. Thank you PC.