News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Car advertising atheism?

Started by Jessi, November 14, 2010, 09:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessi

I was having a conversation with my mom about how I want to put a sticker on my car that says "Good without God." Even though she accepts the fact that I'm an atheist, she thinks that doing that would be a horrible idea and that I shouldn't. She said that religion and politics should stay private and we shouldn't share our opinions unless we're asked. She also thinks it's really dangerous to do so.

I understand the fact that it might be dangerous, but I don't agree that we shouldn't share our opinions unless we're asked. I know that those are sensitive subjects, but if church-goers get to put stickers on their car about their love for god, why can't I put a sticker on my car about how I'm good without him? It's only fair. It's not like I'm saying "God is horrible and doesn't exist and you're stupid." Even though I sometimes think that way, I'm not being offensive by saying "good without God", right?

I told my mom I'm sick of being silent about what I believe, and she said that's the way it should be. People shouldn't talk about their beliefs. And that really upset me, I almost wanted to start crying. I asked her "why is it okay that they can express their beliefs about God but I can't express my lack of beliefs?" and she said that no one should be able to. I definitely disagree with that. Without the sharing of ideas and opinions, how can we progress? How can we move forward? I'm sick of being silent in the dark, and putting a sticker on my car is the one way I can express myself without direct confrontation.

Atheists like Richard Dawkins and Sam Harris say that we need to start speaking up. That's what I'm trying to do. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?

I'm new to this forum, and this conversation with my mom is what prompted me to get an account. I don't know if this is the right place, but I didn't know where else to go or who else to ask.

So what do you guys think? Is it okay to put a sticker that says "Good without God" on my car? And what do you guys think about what my mom said?

Tank

Hi Jessi

I applaud your desire to tell everybody about your world view. I think that the God Squad have had it their own way for thousands of years. However, what safety issues are there?

Welcome aboard

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Lermontov

:eek: Is it really considered "dangerous" to make your veiws public?
"If you want to be happy, be."  Tolstoy.

Whitney

It has been considered polite in many circles to keep politics and religion to yourself; so it's not like your mom is necessarily alone in her opinion.  My dad would agree with her that it's a good idea to keep those things private.  My dad also thinks it's not safe to be open as an atheist...our parents grew up in a different time it's now pretty safe to be open about lack of belief (though still good to stick to the don't talk about politics or religion at work plan).

Statistically the likelihood of you being the victim of a hate crime because you put an atheist sticker on your car is pretty low.  I think the worst risk you run is it might get keyed of a jerky religious person sees the sticker and decides that jesus would definitely cause property damage when he asks wwjd; lol.  So, if it is your car and not your parents car that is your risk to take.

I don't have an obviously atheist sticker on my car because I don't want it to spark a conversation at work or if I meet clients.  I don't want to know how religious the people I am working with are even if they would be accepting of me not having belief in god; I don't want to lose respect for a coworker because they have compartmentalized a kooky religious idea from the rational part of their brain.  If I have to be told my services are no longer necessary I don't want to have to wonder if it was due to discrimination.  That said, I don't hide either, they really would just have to do is look through some of my past work on the internet to know I support freethought; the logo I did for the Fellowship of Freethought and my work on the Texas Freethought Convention website is on my graphics business facebook page.

So, assuming you don't have a job where your livelihood is dependent on maintaining professional working relationships with others at your job or with clients; I don't see harm in having an atheist sticker on your car.

Jessi

Thank you so much for the replies!

Luckily I don't have a job...yet. I'm a junior in high school. :P Plus, I already have an FSM emblem on my car, and nothing bad has happened with that. Since "Good without God" is more direct, I would be taking more of a risk, but it's definitely one I'm willing to take. I live in a VERY heavy Mormon city (I'm even still technically considered a member...ahh!) and I don't think anyone would go to the extreme of vandalism...hopefully. :P

Again, thanks! I think I'm definitely going to get that sticker on my car, then. :)

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: "Whitney"I think the worst risk you run is it might get keyed of a jerky religious person sees the sticker and decides that jesus would definitely cause property damage when he asks wwjd; lol.

You could always cover the key scratch with more stickers.

Tank

Jessi, rebel without a pause!  :headbang:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

ped

i can totally see a whackadoo doing something over your sticker. in some places i have lived you might go so far as to get beat up or even shot. many people think atheists are literally the most despicable creature jeebus intelguntly created.
you really never know with those types, ive seen my share of violent and derranged sociopaths thumbing a bible.
if they dont have a problem bombing and murdering doctors, they probablly dont have any problem doing harm to you.

Jimbaloosh

Don't sweat it.  I had 666 spray painted on the back of my old car for fun.  Did get a couple weird looks. :-)

Tanker

First Welcome to the forum.

Since you posted that your mom accepts you're an Atheist I'm guessing shes not. Does she wear a cross or have a religious bumber sticker or jesus Fish? If not would she care if you did? Does she mind or comment when she sees these things on other people or cars? If She doesn't have a problem with those signs of religious belief why does she have a problem with your Atheist equivilent? It seems to me (from your admittedly limited posts) that she doesn't have a problem with public displays of faith but you making public displays of your lack of faith.
"I'd rather die the go to heaven" - William Murderface Murderface  Murderface-

I've been in fox holes, I'm still an atheist -Me-

God is a cake, and we all know what the cake is.

(my spelling, grammer, and punctuation suck, I know, but regardless of how much I read they haven't improved much since grade school. It's actually a bit of a family joke.