News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

The source of Judaism

Started by fazFwQo83, November 10, 2010, 11:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fazFwQo83

I would like to get some views on some information I came across recently, if you would be so kind as to indulge me for a moment.

Regarding Judaism and where it came from. If the tribe of Abraham was descended from the Canaanites and there's evidence of a direct link between Judaism and the religion of the Canaanites, then could it be inferred that Judaism was somehow derived from the old Canaanite religion? And if so, then where did the Canaanites get their religion from?

The link I refer to can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canaanite_ ... n#Pantheon - You'll find Yahweh in the pantheon under the mythology section.
and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahweh#Ear ... eh-worship

On another note, I find it interesting that the article on Yahweh begins with "... the personal name of God in the Hebrew Bible". It's only much later in the article that you get the big picture regarding the development of Yahweh-worship.

Thanks
the faz.

Ba'al

Zoroastrianism was a monotheistic religion that existed in ancient Persia before Judaism. It remained  the major religion of Persia until the arrival of Islam. It may have had a influence on Judaism..
"religion is about turning untested beleif to unshakable truth through the power of institutions and the passage of time." - Richard Dawkins

fazFwQo83

It may have had an influence. But I think if you trace the chief deity of the Canaanites (El) back to his origins, you get to Enlil of the Sumerians, who was lord of the wind. For the Sumerians, Enlil reported to Anu, who was the chief deity of the Annuna (sometimes also referred to as the Annunaki). Basically, the point is that all religion comes from somewhere and this just goes to show how man-made the whole thing is.

lundberg500

Quoteall religion comes from somewhere and this just goes to show how man-made the whole thing is.

Why can't Christians ever understand this? Why can't they see that all religions were developed in the minds of man?