News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Convinceing others

Started by JustAJ, August 04, 2010, 07:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustAJ

I have a friend who is a very casual catholic who I discuss religion and politics with.  She's considering becomeing an atheist and has heard all my ussual arguments.  I'm wondering if u guys could tell me what u would say when trying to convince people or when you are discussing religion with people and trying to "sell" atheism.
"It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence." - William Kingdon Clifford

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." ~ Carl Sagan

pinkocommie

Quote from: "JustAJ"I have a friend who is a very casual catholic who I discuss religion and politics with.  She's considering becomeing an atheist and has heard all my ussual arguments.  I'm wondering if u guys could tell me what u would say when trying to convince people or when you are discussing religion with people and trying to "sell" atheism.

I never try to convince anyone or "sell" atheism, I just answer people's questions as honestly as I can.  If they don't ask me, I don't bother them about it.  It sounds like she's interested in atheism, so I would recommend some books.  The End of Faith by Sam Harris or The God Delusion by Dawkins are both good books for deconverts or even the casually curious.  Good Luck!
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Ellainix

The first command says that you should have no other gods before God, yet Christianity is about putting Jesus before God.

How did Noah get penguins and polar bears for the Ark?

I recall the story of the philosopher and the theologian. The two were engaged in disputation and the theologian used the old quip about a philosopher resembling a blind man, in a dark room, looking for a black catâ€"which wasn't there. "That may be," said the philosopher: "but a theologian would have found it."
-- Julian Huxley, The Creed of a Scientific Humanist
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

The Magic Pudding

If I was talking to a thoughtful person, I think the explanation of life the universe and everything, by use of a god is really dodgy.
So where did god come from?
Many average people ask them selves this question at a very young age, unprompted.
The so many gods, why is this one "the one," argument is pretty good.

For the less sophisticated I would point out the bad things god seems to let happen.

There is a lot of weird stuff in the bible.
Is it blasphemous to use a highlighter on the funny bits?

Tank

I think if I were asked I would simply reply that I see no need to complicate existance with the addition of a deity. I can appreciate there are naturalistic solutions to all that is around us, my ancestors could not. Therefore my ancestors filled the emotional 'cause and effect' gap with superstition which over the millennia evolved into gods and then God.

This post expands a little on my thoughts in this area viewtopic.php?p=70915#p70915
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Guittars

I'm with the first poster: I generally don't aim to convince people - just explain my own views.

The books recommended above are excellent - and Sam Harris - Letter to a Christian Nation is another great addition to the list. I'd even recommend reading the response to it Letter from a Christian Citizen by Douglas Wilson as it highlights the inherent weakness in religion once you get into a rational debate (count the number of sneering/mocking statements by Wilson, none of which are backed up by actual evidence).

Personally, I find one of the most powerful arguments to be along the lines of the sheer volume of relgions (for more (written in a fairly humourous style): read Joel Grus - Your Religion is False) over the many years of human existence.

For every devout Christian, there is a Muslim who feels just as strongly that they are right - they 'believe' it. Then there is a Hindu, a Jew, a Mormon, etc. etc. who believe that their god(s) is the only true way.
So in fact, everyone who is religious, just us atheists take it one god further (I stole that quote from Dawkins I think - it certainly isn't mine).

Finally, a great book for any 'doubter' to read is 50 Reasons People Give for Believing in a God by Guy P Harrison - logical, rational analysis of the reasons why people give and then proposing an alternative view.

As you can see, I guess the common theme in my advice is knowledge - get this person reading. I'd even get them reading the Bible and the Koran so that can see for themselves the good, bad and ugly.