News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Poll: Are you pro-life or pro choice?

Started by Keithzworld, August 04, 2010, 02:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keithzworld

I suppose its only fair to state my position on this, I'm pro-choice.

While I agree that abortion is nothing to be celebrating, I agree it can be a necessary procedure for many women because of particular circumstances. And it should always be an option.

Thoughts?

Sophus

I'm pro-choice.

Tip: There's actually a way you can create a real poll for this in the options under this WYSIWYG text editor box.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Whitney

I added a real poll to the OP :)

I also added the "other" option for myself.  I don't like the idea of having to choose between pro-life and pro-choice because it implies that being for choice is anti-life.    I think it should be anti-choice v pro-choice because that's the root of the issue.

I'm pro choice and I'm pro life...life is good, I just don't think we should force anyone to carry a life nor do I draw the line of where consciousness (what they mean by life) begins the same place the anti-choice people do.

The Magic Pudding

This argument seems to come from a time when people were viewed as livestock.

philosoraptor

I'm with Whitney.  I don't really care for the terms pro-life or pro-choice because of the connotations they have.  

Abortion is one of those things I've always been on the fence about.  I absolutely support a woman's right to make the choice about what she does with her body.  At the same time, I'd much rather people weren't put in the position of having to choose in the first place because of circumstance.  I'd much rather people didn't have unprotected sex if they weren't prepared to have children.  I'd rather condoms didn't break, that people could take BC properly, and that rapists didn't roam the streets freely.  I feel really torn about abortion, because I think of all the people who can't have children and want them and it makes me sad that what someone else wants so badly another person would throw out.  In the end though, I think the rights of an adult woman supersede that of an embryo or fetus every time.

I struggle with it philosophically as an existentialist because Sartre says that what we choose for ourselves, we essentially choose for all people (because if we thought it was a bad idea, why would we do it?).  If I were in the position of having an unwanted pregnancy, I'd likely go through with it, and put the child up for adoption.  However, I would never choose that for every woman in a similar situation.  So yeah, I struggle with this.  I really hope I'll never be in a position where I do have to make that decision.
"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

pinkocommie

I am pro-choice and I have had an abortion.  I'm not ashamed or embarrassed by that fact, I have no doubt that I made the right choice and I would never dream of trying to make that choice for anyone else.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Ellainix

I hate the idea of people being obsessed with this subject.
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.

karadan

I can't in good conscience consider a small collection of cells intelligent life.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Guittars

I'm pro choice.

I find it somewhat ironic (angering) when the pro-lifers show willing to harm/kill an actual human being in protection of a collection of cells.

For an interesting insight into an antitheist (as she describes herself) view on abortion search for Angie the Antitheist on You Tube. She chose to broadcast her abortion live (using RU486 rather than the more physical methods!) on the grounds that she wanted to share the experience with other women considering an abortion. There was a significant risk of death to Angie herself if she went ahead with the birth. Amongst the many death threats she received, perhaps the most disturbing (and I'm pretty sure the police got involved over this one) was the threat to kill her 3(?) year old son - no doubt for Jesus.

Thumpalumpacus

I'm pro-choice in principle, being a small-government-type.

As regards America, I'm also pro-choice because I find the idea of male legislators outlawing an option that they will never have to consider to be insultingly patronizing.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

hismikeness

I put it this way...

It isn't Jello until it comes out of the refrigerator. Before that, it's just colored sugar water.  :)

I'm pro-choice.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

KebertX

Both. I think Abortion is bad, but I realize my opinion isn't all encompassing, so I also think other people should be able to make that judgment call on their own.  If you are against abortion, don't get an abortion! the law shouldn't force everyone to conform to the same standards on when life begins.

I can definitely see the argument for how it might be okay earlier on, but at the point where there's even a slight chance that the fetus is viable, I think it's immoral to terminate it.
"Reality is that which when you close your eyes it does not go away.  Ignorance is that which allows you to close your eyes, and not see reality."

"It can't be seen, smelled, felt, measured, or understood, therefore let's worship it!" ~ Anon.

Ned

It will probably not be a surprise to most on this forum to learn that I consider myself pro-life.  However, I am certainly not a fanatic on the issue and would never condemn anyone for taking such a difficult decision.

humblesmurph

Interesting.  I guess I would have to say that I am pro choice.  I don't, however, think that it is accurate to necessarily call a fetus "a collection of cells".  At some point those cells start to resemble a human being.  Furthermore, at some point, that thing that resembles a human being has a higher likelihood than not of actually becoming one.  As I understand it, some legal abortions happen after this point.

I don't know if this question should be in another thread (if so, my apologies--I'm new) but of you who believe in a woman's right to choose, how many of you believe in the father's right to choose?  

Let me explain.  Julie gets pregnant and Tom wants her to terminate--and offers to pay half.  Julie takes the pregnancy to term.  Tom leaves Julie.  Julie sues Tom for child support.  Tom refuses to pay because he didn't choose to be a father.  He instead issues Julie a check for exactly half the cost of an abortion--is he wrong?