News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Evolution in other apes

Started by Cite134, July 04, 2010, 10:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cite134

I just had a question in regards to evolution of other great apes. It's fairly easy for me to observe different human forms over the course of thousands of years, specifically 'transitional forms'. However, I have a hard time finding such transitional forms in other apes such as the gorillas and chimpanzees. Surely, the modern day gorilla is not exaclty the same as it was 100,000 years ago. Has there been much change since then in that particular species? If not, why? Perhaps I have some misunderstanding on how evolution actually works.

Help anyone?
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Thumpalumpacus

I don't really have the time to search, but I'll be willing to bet you can find an answer at Talk Origins.

They are the bee's knees when wanting to understand evolution.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Cite134

Thanks Squid! I'll take a look later tonight.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" - Carl Sagan.

Squid

Quote from: "Cite134"Thanks Squid! I'll take a look later tonight.

No problemo.  When you decide to tackle it, here's the Handbook of Paleoanthropology in three volumes.  Volume 2 deals with the origins and evolution of primates.  It's a few years old (2007) so it won't have very latest research information but a good search in Google Scholar can help with that if you have the time.

Tank

Interesting links squid, I'll have a read later.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.