News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Arturo on March 16, 2017, 09:40:50 PM
I have an appointment to get an apartment AWAY from my Father. So what that means, I will have my own place!!! And it will be much cheaper than living in my Dad's house.
That is a very very good reason to be cheerful!!!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

The third gas technician we have called about the smell of gas has actually found the leak! It is tiny, too small for the 2000ppm lower limit of my home gas detector to find. That means it is way, way below the explosive limit - especially in a well ventilated meter closet.

He did all the same tests with the same instruments.

Smell was worse some days than others. Never thought to log the temperature, if the hole is only a micron or two pipe expansion or contraction, in length and/or diameter, might be a problem.

Hope he fixes it, but I feel justified for nagging about it now - not just a moany old git!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit

A lighted match will generally track them down.

Dave

Well, week 3 of my, "Get back to best possible fitness via voluntary work", has started.

Week 1: needed a rest after walking from the bus stop to the museum, about 100 yards. Three hours work on feet was enough, needed a short rest halfway back to bus stop. Two visits.

Week 2:  felt better walking to museum but still a bit tired, footwise, on way back but walked to next but one bustop. Three visits including one day course - mainly sitting down.

Week 3: 1st day, no real probs, spent half an hour working with arms above head anchoring shelf unit to ceiling beam (low blood pressure means arms get low flow when lifted and get tired very quickly) then catalogued a pile of maps. Walked all the way through the docks, up Westgate, through the  city centre to the bus stop for return journey - stopped for a coffee and cake half way (about half a mile total walk). Enough energy left to attack supermarket on way home. Back for another day long course tomorrow then more shelf erecting Wednesday.

Seems to be working.

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on March 27, 2017, 04:54:51 PM
Well, week 3 of my, "Get back to best possible fitness via voluntary work", has started.

Week 1: needed a rest after walking from the bus stop to the museum, about 100 yards. Three hours work on feet was enough, needed a short rest halfway back to bus stop. Two visits.

Week 2:  felt better walking to museum but still a bit tired, footwise, on way back but walked to next but one bustop. Three visits including one day course - mainly sitting down.

Week 3: 1st day, no real probs, spent half an hour working with arms above head anchoring shelf unit to ceiling beam (low blood pressure means arms get low flow when lifted and get tired very quickly) then catalogued a pile of maps. Walked all the way through the docks, up Westgate, through the  city centre to the bus stop for return journey - stopped for a coffee and cake half way (about half a mile total walk). Enough energy left to attack supermarket on way home. Back for another day long course tomorrow then more shelf erecting Wednesday.

Seems to be working.
Excellent.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Arturo

My Aunt said she would call the office at the apartments that I went to today. Idk, I guess that makes me feel better.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Keeping 'em crossed for you, Arturo!

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

So yesterday while on Twitter I replied to Henry Louis Gates Jr‏ about his current show running on PBS called, "Africa's Great Civilizations". It's a six part mini-series and I highly recommend it.

I'm a big fan of Henry's other show "Finding Your Roots", which is also on PBS, and is another show I highly recommend; and yes I watch a lot of PBS.

Anywho...so I tell Henry that I like his show, blah, blah, blah and all that in a tweet, and not only does his like my tweet, but he replies back to it and say's "Thank You"!

Do you know what this means? Do you know how may people might have saw his reply back to me? He has like 69K followers, many of them well respected journalists and super smart people like him.

I'm somebody now! Millions of people look at twitter every day! This is the kind of spontaneous publicity - your name in print - that makes people. I'm in print! Things are going to start happening to me now. 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Arturo

^^^you got that from something
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Arturo on March 28, 2017, 06:36:29 PM
^^^you got that from something
^^
The movie the Jerk with Steve Martin.  8)

I got a free sandwich this morning from Starbucks, spinach and egg wrap with feta.

I think feta is my favorite cheese out of all the cheeses, and even though I don't usually eat dairy. Cheese is my one weakness...some folks have sweet tooth, i have a cheesey one.

Normally prefer dry cheese over soft, such as a good aged Irish Chedder, like Kerrygold.

Back to feta, nothing is better than some feta cheese crumbled into scrambled eggs, or even crumbled on top of some sunny-side eggs, or...cut an avocado in half, scoop out some more of the hole where the seed was so you have room to spoon and egg into it without breaking the yolk, bake this in the oven until the egg is cooked, and just before you bring it out sprinkle some fucking feta on it along with some salt/pepper.

Either eat it right out of the skin, or spread that on some thick bread, a tortilla or even some flat bread. Or even better, on that small, perfect spot on Andie MacDowell's back where the curvature of the spine creates that little cup.

Yummy.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quotesome folks have sweet tooth, i have a cheesey one.

Part of a set with your sense of humour, FB?

:grin:

[pedant]And it's "Cheddar" not Chedder"!  And, to the true cheese lover, it's not Cheddar unless it is actually made there! Made anywhere else it should be "Cheddar style" or "Made with the Cheddar method."[/pedant]

Kerrygold is feeble stuff, no real bite-back. I've had real mature Cheddars that you have to catch and subdue with a net and trident before you can carve wedges off them! Drowned a small one in scrumpy cider for a week once - fed and drunk at the same time... It was still fighting as I got my teeth into it.

Dave

Not sure whether to post this both here and in the "grumpy" thread.

Seems we might have a Little owl (Athena noctura, aka "Screech owl") out the back. I love owls.

But Little owls have Large voices!

OldGit

xSilverPhinx

Where I'm from owls fricken' attack you. Probably because you're unlucky enough to have unwittingly approached  a nest.

I don't remember seeing little owls in Hitchcock's Birds...
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey