News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

QuoteJust curious, do you care that he's Xtian?
Why is it important to him that you know that he is a Christian, and how is that relevant to helping you?
I would prefer a counselor that isn't christian but those are hard to come by, especially on government healthcare.

QuoteDisclosing private patient diagnosis information to you? Why?
Well I don't think it's really a big deal. He doesn't give out names and we aren't judging them like some gossiping mother hens. He talks about them in a positive light. Like they are inherently important. He talks more like a friend than a detached automaton.

Quote from: Arturo on May 28, 2017, 03:44:40 AM
He doesn't really force religion on me but he has some interesting perspectives because of it.
Is that what he told you?
[/quote]
No.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on May 27, 2017, 11:10:42 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on May 27, 2017, 07:44:52 AM
It seems that assertive women are, thankfully, more accepted  on atheist forums these days - not sure about religious ones.

Gloucester you are a smart man and you know very well that religious organizations can not permit women to be assertive. Women are not even allowed to speak in church. There are a number of biblical instructions in that regard. 

Atheists mostly do not have their head up their asses. They tend to  encourage women to participate with full fledged equality.

I know whst you mean but the way you worded it almost sounded like "positive discrimination", which can be just as patronising as ordinary discrimination! I often wonder what it would be like in a forum where "non-gendered" names and avatars were the rule - would writing styles and subject choice give gendre away?

Is it possible for males, and females, to view the thoughts and actions of the opposite sex entirely objectively, with none of the evolutionary biases that we have acquired over the past few million years? Accapting all the arguments about "sentient" beings having the ability to "rise above" such animalistic trends!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on May 28, 2017, 06:20:40 AM
It seems that assertive women are, thankfully, more accepted  on atheist forums these days - not sure about religious ones.

Gloucester you are a smart man and you know very well that religious organizations can not permit women to be assertive. Women are not even allowed to speak in church. There are a number of biblical instructions in that regard. 

Atheists mostly do not have their head up their asses. They tend to  encourage women to participate with full fledged equality.

I know whst you mean but the way you worded it almost sounded like "positive discrimination", which can be just as patronising as ordinary discrimination! I often wonder what it would be like in a forum where "non-gendered" names and avatars were the rule - would writing styles and subject choice give gendre away?

Is it possible for males, and females, to view the thoughts and actions of the opposite sex entirely objectively, with none of the evolutionary biases that we have acquired over the past few million years? Accapting all the arguments about "sentient" beings having the ability to "rise above" such animalistic trends!

People would probably assume everyone is a guy. Then the population would be the kind of people that are drawn to guys. But that's just my guess.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on May 28, 2017, 06:12:30 AM
Why is it important to him that you know that he is a Christian, and how is that relevant to helping you?
I would prefer a counselor that isn't christian but those are hard to come by, especially on government healthcare.
:sad sigh: That's true.

Well I don't think it's really a big deal. He doesn't give out names and we aren't judging them like some gossiping mother hens. He talks about them in a positive light. Like they are inherently important. He talks more like a friend than a detached automaton.
Still, I don't think you're there to hear about how Christian he is, about his other patients, or how important they are to him ($). You are paying for a service: He will hear you speak, not the other way around. I wouldn't like a "detached automaton" either, but if I had to chose between a "gossiping mother hen" and a "detached automaton" I would chose the detached automaton. You put a quarter in and it listens to you, the other one, you put a quarter in, and you have to listen to them and their problems and/or happiness.  :-\

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on May 28, 2017, 06:25:52 AM

People would probably assume everyone is a guy. Then the population would be the kind of people that are drawn to guys. But that's just my guess.

We don't know if No one is a man or a woman. manga and MatureMcLeod never told us their gender either. Pasta Chick hasn't posted hers either. I'm OK with not knowing, I could be a 59 year old male truck driver, you never know.  :shrug:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: NoHandlebarsAttached on May 28, 2017, 06:06:18 AM
Picked up a Texas Heeler puppy, named him Darwin.

Here's him playing with my old bitch, Tessa.

Awwww!  Is the castle looking thing a dog house?
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: NoHandlebarsAttached on May 28, 2017, 06:06:18 AM
Picked up a Texas Heeler puppy, named him Darwin.

Here's him playing with my old bitch, Tessa.
Awwww Tessa is so happy! She has a new playmate!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on May 28, 2017, 06:42:24 AM

Still, I don't think you're there to hear about how Christian he is, about his other patients, or how important they are to him ($). You are paying for a service: He will hear you speak, not the other way around. I wouldn't like a "detached automaton" either, but if I had to chose between a "gossiping mother hen" and a "detached automaton" I would chose the detached automaton. You put a quarter in and it listens to you, the other one, you put a quarter in, and you have to listen to them and their problems and/or happiness.  :-\

Yeah he's neither of those. He brings them around to a point for some thing to try myself. He's never complaining.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on May 28, 2017, 07:12:34 AM
Quote from: Arturo on May 28, 2017, 06:25:52 AM

We don't know if No one is a man or a woman. manga and MatureMcLeod never told us their gender either. Pasta Chick hasn't posted hers either. I'm OK with not knowing, I could be a 59 year old male truck driver, you never know.  :shrug:

Except your profile says your a woman. Pasta "Chick" implies she's a girl too. I've been on a website called 4chan as a teen and the meme that came out of there was that there are no girls on the internet.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on May 28, 2017, 10:49:46 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 28, 2017, 06:42:24 AM

Yeah he's neither of those. He brings them around to a point for some thing to try myself. He's never complaining.

OK.

Just one more thing...
... He talks more like a friend...
Maybe it's me.  :notsure:
Maybe I don't like this type of counselor, but if it works for you, I'm happy for you.

I think there should be a line between a counselor and a friend. They are not the same. One has to be one or the other. If he's going to act like your friend, then don't pay him. Friends don't pay friends to listen to them. A patient pays a counselor to listen to him/her and guide him/her through his/her issues, not to hear him talk about his, even if he wants to use them as examples.

Edit: Fixed spelling.

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

xSilverPhinx

The end of a long day draws near!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Yay! Car passed its annual health and safety check!  :dance:

(Hope I do the same at the clinic next week...)

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

OldGit