News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Nervous Hello

Started by Businessocks, June 05, 2010, 03:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Businessocks

Wow, I'm so lame.  I'm so nervous about posting on here!  I feel like it's a deep, dark secret that would make so many people in my life run in the other direction.  On the other hand, I feel so free to finally not call myself a Christian.  I always felt like I was being a fake, just playing a part because that's what everyone around me does.  I never realized just how freeing it would be to stop going to church and pretending any of it resonated with my heart or my mind.  

On the basic side, I'm a 38 year old mom of 3 (a 7 year old and 5 year old twins).  I got an old dog who isn't doing so well, and a flat-faced cat who is the epitome of mellow.  And I'm fortunate to have a spouse who enjoys questioning God--or lack thereof--together.

I look forward to chatting with other questioners.
The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

KDbeads

Hi!  I can commiserate with the sick puppy, in that boat with several of my rescues right now.  Hubby and I also debate god, church, religion, etc.  We get pretty heated about it some days but it's fun.

Welcome to the board :D
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

skwurll

Welcome to the board, I'm sure you'll love it here.

Davin

Welcome to the forums.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Gawen

Hiya businessocks,

I like the screen name. I don't have a clue what it means, but it's neat. Another neat thing is that although your first/greeting post may have been nervous, well...since you got that out of the way, you need not be nervous any longer...*grinnin*. Now that you got your toes wet, jump on in. The water's fine here.
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor

Businessocks

Thanks for the welcome!

My screen name is from a Flight of the Conchords song.  Business socks refers to leaving your socks on when you...ahem...with your significant other.  That's why they are called "business" socks.  "It's business, it's business time."   :headbang:
The god of the cannibals will be a cannibal, of the crusaders a crusader, and of the merchants a merchant.  -Ralph Waldo Emerson

pinkocommie

I was nervous the first time I commented here too!  I hope you enjoy yourself here.  =D
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

Whitney

Should I be nervous that people are nervous about posting on the forum?  :hide:

Tank

Hi BS

That's a bit unfortunate  lol
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

elliebean

Hello and welcome, Biz!  :)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais