News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Lib/Dem leader, I dont believe in God.

Started by jobee, April 21, 2010, 06:46:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dretlin

Quote from: "SSY"DEVOLUTION!! DEVOLUTION!!

As you may be able to tell, there is not much I like about UK politics.

I feel your pain.

SSY

UPDATE

I don't know how many of you watched the leader debate on Sky (or the repeat on bbc and iplayer), but this issue came up again. The issue was the Pope's upcoming visit to Britain (Boooo! Hissss!), when it came rounds to Clegg's turn, his exact words were "I am not a man of faith, but my wife is. Mirian is a catholic; my children are being brought up in her faith". He went on to say all the right things about the pope and the scandal etc, but I thought it interesting, if he is indeed an atheist, that he lets his kids be raised catholic.

If I were married to a catholic (unlikely but still), I would not be happy that my kids be raised catholic. It does make me question his conviction and backbone to be honest. I see 2 possibilities, he is either not an atheist ( a bizarre move saying you are when you're not), or, he is simply a limp wristed pansy, I simply cannot see anyway of justifying religion for your kids, when you are an atheist yourself.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

NoStupidQuestions

I'd be more impressed if a socially moderate, fiscally conservative American politician took the same stance.  I'm sure that he or she is out there but will never come out of the closet, since it would basically be political suicide in the US.

karadan

Quote from: "SSY"UPDATE

I don't know how many of you watched the leader debate on Sky (or the repeat on bbc and iplayer), but this issue came up again. The issue was the Pope's upcoming visit to Britain (Boooo! Hissss!), when it came rounds to Clegg's turn, his exact words were "I am not a man of faith, but my wife is. Mirian is a catholic; my children are being brought up in her faith". He went on to say all the right things about the pope and the scandal etc, but I thought it interesting, if he is indeed an atheist, that he lets his kids be raised catholic.

If I were married to a catholic (unlikely but still), I would not be happy that my kids be raised catholic. It does make me question his conviction and backbone to be honest. I see 2 possibilities, he is either not an atheist ( a bizarre move saying you are when you're not), or, he is simply a limp wristed pansy, I simply cannot see anyway of justifying religion for your kids, when you are an atheist yourself.

Maybe he has let his kids believe what they want and they happen to have sided with god for now. My niece has liked the idea of god for some time although she speaks about it less and less the older she gets. She's now eight. As an atheist, my sister doesn't mind. She reckons if she was to push the atheist agenda too hard, it might have the opposite effect and push Eloise further towards religion. My brother in law isn't religious though. I guess that might be the difference here.

Really, I think some kids need to go through that phase before being able to think like a rational human.

I really don't know what to think of Clegg. Maybe calling him a limp-wristed pansy is a little strong  :P  but you could be right. I don't know, I really wish I knew more about politics. I'm far too ambivalent.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Logikos

Good for Clegg.  It would have been so easy for him to give a typical politician's answer to that question.

I got my postal vote through the post yesterday - I'm currently thinking of various creative ways to spoil it on election day.

SSY

Quote from: "karadan"snip

Oh, I certainly agree that if his kids have chosen God over another view, then that is the way it should be, and parents should not force their kids to accept the "right" answer. However, from the quote, it seems as though the kids (who I think are very young, therefore not yet capable of making these decisions IMHO) were not left to their own investigations, but actively had Catholicism thrust upon them.

In the case of your niece, where do you think she heard about god? Do you think whoever told her about it gave a fair and even sided discussion of the evidence for and against god? Certainly not to criticise anyone else's parenting skills, but that is not the way I would do it.

If you want to spoil your ballot, vote for a crazy fringe party, every step we take towards proportional representation is a good step, increasing the votes that fringe parties get will improve the case for PR.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick