News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Starting to get the backlash from homelessness pages

Started by Kylyssa, December 27, 2009, 01:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylyssa

I've gotten a few nasty messages regarding a new cluster of homelessness pieces I've written but they've suddenly kicked up in frequency.

The thing I decided to do a while back was to finally say something about an issue that has preyed on my mind for almost two decades - the relationship between teen homelessness and religion.  At first, I got few negative responses but it seems the fundies have found it there amid my other writing about homelessness issues.  So far, I've only gotten the burn in hell emails/PMs and some obnoxious comments that needed removal to keep profanity off the pages (on Squidoo, every page must be basically G rated, comments included) but they've become pretty darned frequent, especially after one of my pages on homelessness got linked to on the Huffington Post's Impact Page.  

I'm thinking of taking this to the next level and creating a page specifically about ideological differences as a cause of teen and young adult homelessness but I don't want to start a flame war - I just want to start a dialogue and get people to recognize the importance this pretty much taboo subject.

Any ideas on how to do this in a diplomatic manner?  I know that it will end up as flame bait to some degree but does anyone have any idea on how I could minimize it?

Will

While diplomacy has its place, on an issue such as this honesty trumps all else simply in the interest of helping the victims. Still, the last thing I'd want is some asshat fundy getting a little too mad and setting out to find you, so you may want to do this anonymously.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Kylyssa

I'm thinking of creating a new pen name for it.  I'm looking for relevant studies at the moment.  So far, I've mainly got a few studies connecting homosexuality with homelessness in teens and young adults which all seem to tiptoe around the root reason behind the raving homophobia.  It's a huge correlation.  As much as 40% of homeless teens are homosexual as compared to less than 10% of the population at large.  I've only got anecdotal evidence regarding teens kicked out for other religiously motivated reasons such as changing religions and being suspected of premarital sex so far.  But I've worked with these kids, taken them into my home, and I've heard their stories.

I've really been encouraged by the response of non fundy people to this information.  I've gotten a lot of, "I never thought of that but it makes sense" from people who are religious.  I'm not trying to alienate religious people - if this issue is to be addressed, the non-crazy religious people need to get on board with it.

Though I must admit that I've felt blowing up at a few people who blame the homosexual teens for their own homelessness.  Then again, they never sat in an ER with any of those kids.  I suppose it brings back all of the anger at those parents that I've had cooped up inside.

Renegnicat

You're going to get hate mail, so it'd be best to do this anonymously. But another important thing to remember is to always write when you are calm. Tell your readers that your server will not accept e-mail sent before a week has passed from their viewing the page. That's impossible, of course, but chances are your reader's won't know that. If they really want to get through, more of them than not will wait a week before sending off that e-mail.

And if they wait a week, they are likely to be calmer.  :D
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

LARA

Try to keep your style as journalistic as possible.  Stick to factual evidence, try going in chronological order if you are trying to describe what happened to one of these kids.  Use quotes from the individual themselves, instead of just presenting their story in just your own words.  It might be hard, but keep a little emotional distance from the stories the kids will tell you, try to keep a cool perspective.  You have been through a lot yourself, so this can be hard, but what you are doing is important.  Honesty, avoiding editorializing is best for a difficult subject.  If you write an editorial, keep it separate from an article where you might delve into events and stories that support your later editorials and link back to them.

I don't think that you will ever keep all the flame comments out, but it's going to come with the territory.  The subject of kids getting kicked out of their homes due to parents religious intolerance is going to be touchy in certain circles.  The pen name is a good idea, make sure it's known that it's a pen name.

And if you can, don't delete the flames completely, if they don't violate terms, etc.  People need to read the reactions to your articles.  If you are getting flamed or attacked by religious extremists, let their comments stay public.  Every overreaction on their part gives these stories strength.

You are an excellent writer, just try to stay detached so you can get the facts out of what is happening.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

G-Roll

QuoteI just want to start a dialogue and get people to recognize the importance this pretty much taboo subject.

IMHO that statement says it all. homelessness is a serious problem that is swept under the carpet in MANY cities, towns, and what not. alot of people have no idea that there are even homeless people in their town because they dont see them.
if someone gets angry because you bring to light homeless and offer solutions or at least encourage a way to accomplish... anything. regaurdless if its caused by religion or whatever... the person trying to stand in your way is a terd nuggett.
Quote from: "Moslem"
Allah (that mean God)

AlP

Do you use scholar.google.com Kylyssa? It's a search engine limited to academic work. I did a search for "homelessness religion" and came up with this, which has some interesting numbers.

Edit:
Since the end of the tax year is fast approaching, got any advice on tax-deductible homeless charities? Don't won't Uncle Sam to get my money. He doesn't have a good track record for spending it wisely.  lol
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus