News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Free Awesome Book...I think

Started by Miss Anthrope, November 23, 2009, 09:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Anthrope

OK, I actually haven't read this yet but the description sounds cool and it seemed like it would be of interest to many users of this forum.

From BoingBoing.net:

QuoteMike sez, "Bob Altemeyer's excellent book 'The Authoritarians' is online in full pdf format. It's a result of 30+ years of research into what he calls 'right-wing authoritarianism'- right in the sense of 'might makes' rather than 'opposite of left'. It's a fascinating explanation of how the minds of this subset of the population works- or in some cases, fails to: how they are able to assiduously apply double standards, fail to notice inconsistencies in their beliefs, justify abominable behavior, etc. Somehow, knowing that these people really, truly, can't reason in the same way the majority of us can makes them a little less irksome, if not less frightening."

Here's the link for the download: http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/  (click on "Whole Book"; it's a PDF file)
How big is the smallest fish in the pond? You catch one hundred fishes, all
of which are greater than six inches. Does this evidence support the hypothesis
that no fish in the pond is much less than six inches long? Not if your
net can’t catch smaller fish. -Nick Bostrom

Kylyssa

Thanks!  I like books, politics, and free stuff so this is right up my alley.

Ellainix

I really hate conservatives and republicans, so I look forward to indulging myself in this delicious pdf!
Quote from: "Ivan Tudor C McHock"If your faith in god is due to your need to explain the origin of the universe, and you do not apply this same logic to the origin of god, then you are an idiot.