News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

ACLU survey

Started by AlP, November 07, 2009, 06:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlP

I'm not a member of the ACLU but I somehow got on their mailing list. They just sent me a survey to fill out and post back to them. While I find myself siding with the ACLU on most issues, their survey is laden with rhetoric. The first two questions:

Quote"I believe that the separation of church and state is crucial to the health of our democracy and that government should stay out of Americans' personal religious beliefs and practices."

Do not believe / believe / somewhat believe / strongly believe

"I believe that attempts to limit the rights of people to marry and/or adopt children based upon their sexual orientation not only hurts families but violates the most fundamental precepts of American freedom and must be resisted."

Do not believe / believe / somewhat believe / strongly believe

So the results of the survey will be meaningless. Not only that but they state outright that they're going to be selective about which responses make it into their results:

QuoteYour individual responses will be treated confidentially. But the tabulated results of completed surveys from you and other freedom-loving Americans will be shared with elected officials and opinion leaders across the country.

What's going on at ACLU? =(
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

Whitney

Hmm.....so they sent out a poll to ppl who already like the ACLU and then are giong to show it to elected officials as if it reflects the general population....sounds like something out of the right wing playbook.   :crazy:

AlP

That's a good point. This might be post hoc but I think they got my address from the American Humanist Association; I started to receive mail from them when I joined AHA. That also makes me sad =(.

I'm considering dissecting the rhetoric in the survey questions and also complaining about the selectivity of the survey but I'm not sure if its worth my time. Will it make any difference?

Renegnicat

[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

SSY

Quote from: "Whitney"Hmm.....so they sent out a poll to ppl who already like the ACLU and then are giong to show it to elected officials as if it reflects the general population....sounds like something out of the right wing playbook.   :crazy:

Come now, this is used by every special interest group, or at least members of these groups, no need to single out our beloved right wing friends.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

AlP

I returned the survey. In answer to "I believe that the separation of church and state is crucial to the health of our democracy and that government should stay out of Americans' personal religious beliefs and practices" I said "do not believe". Had they asked "I value the separation of church and state" I would have said "strongly agree" if it was an option. Silly ACLU.