News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

"The Singularity is Near"

Started by Ultima22689, September 01, 2009, 04:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loffler

Quote from: "Ultima22689"
Quote from: "Loffler"One of the benefits of being a secular person is you don't have to speak in dogmatic absolutes. We don't need to say "the singularity is coming" or "the singularity isn't coming." We have a sentence structure available to us that makes the religious person completely uncomfortable: "I think the singularity might come."

We can even give odds. "I think there's a 60% chance of the singularity coming this century."

It's so liberating to be able to express predictions in terms of probability.

"The Singularity is near' is a quote from Ray Kurzweil, one of his books is titled so.

Did this post get cut off? It doesn't seem to be a complete response.

Spork

Technology is not advancing as they say it is.  A faster computer is not a big advance.
The singularity is a scam.  When computers were being developed, people knew what they wanted, and it was based on "gates."  Like the AND gate used to make an adding machine.    But, in making AI, nobody has the slightest idea of what to make.  Even if it could be make, no one knows what they want.  The fastest computer with the largest AI still is entirely unable to deal with any situation which the programers have not already thought of.  The best AI can still be outwitted by a flatworm.

"The singularity" is like having a symposium to discuss the ethics of what you are going to do when you all win that lottery money, but nobody has bought a ticket, nobody knows where to buy one, and noone has started a lottery anyway.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Spork"Technology is not advancing as they say it is.  A faster computer is not a big advance.
The singularity is a scam.  When computers were being developed, people knew what they wanted, and it was based on "gates."  Like the AND gate used to make an adding machine.    But, in making AI, nobody has the slightest idea of what to make.  Even if it could be make, no one knows what they want.  The fastest computer with the largest AI still is entirely unable to deal with any situation which the programers have not already thought of.  The best AI can still be outwitted by a flatworm.

"The singularity" is like having a symposium to discuss the ethics of what you are going to do when you all win that lottery money, but nobody has bought a ticket, nobody knows where to buy one, and none has started a lottery anyway.

I'm just curious, did you read any of the previous posts in this thread before posting? If you had you would have noticed that there are some technologies that actually do out wit a flatworm -_-

Also, links plox? I think more people would have known about supercomputers being outwitted by flatworms which I think is BS personally, I've seen robots built in universities and even in highschool than can do far more than a flatworm can.

LoneMateria

Spork is probably a one hit wonder however i'm still going to address his assertions to which he never provided evidence for.  
Quote from: "Spork"Technology is not advancing as they say it is.  A faster computer is not a big advance.
If thats the case go ahead and do everything you need to with a Windows 98 Computer that has a 250mb harddrive and 2 meg of ram.  Oh and while you are at it surf the internet on a 28k dial-up.   Also who is "they" and where did you come across this information?

Quote from: "Spork"The singularity is a scam.  When computers were being developed, people knew what they wanted, and it was based on "gates."  Like the AND gate used to make an adding machine.

Oh rly what exactly did they wan't when they made the first computer?  Do you even know what the first computer was?  And what are these "gates" you are talking about ... do you mean features?

Quote from: "Spork"But, in making AI, nobody has the slightest idea of what to make.  Even if it could be make, no one knows what they want.

Making shit up now are we?  Please back up your assertions with proof or at the very least where you got your information from.  Oh and I see AI that play chess and poker ... there are AI robots on the battlefield (No its not science fiction anymore ... they are equipped with a gun which is sweet) and there are UAV with AI in them to figure out how to do a mission and return safely.

Quote from: "Spork"The fastest computer with the largest AI still is entirely unable to deal with any situation which the programers have not already thought of.  The best AI can still be outwitted by a flatworm.

Again i'd like to see where you get your information from.  I know AI can learn your strategy in Chess and in Poker and react accordingly.  Go ahead an play Poker or Chess against these bots if you think you are smarter then them.  I'd say poker ... at least you can get lucky as hell and win.

Quote from: "Spork""The singularity" is like having a symposium to discuss the ethics of what you are going to do when you all win that lottery money, but nobody has bought a ticket, nobody knows where to buy one, and noone has started a lottery anyway.

Again another assertion about it ... please back up these assertions with some evidence ... don't be surprised if we don't take your word on it ... we have people show up here who don't know wtf they are talking about all the time.
Quote from: "Richard Lederer"There once was a time when all people believed in God and the church ruled. This time was called the Dark Ages
Quote from: "Demosthenes"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true.
Quote from: "Oscar Wilde"Truth, in matters of religion, is simpl

Big Mac

Quote from: "Will"It's nearly impossible to speculate about how AI will choose to think. A common assumption is that AI will think like us, but that would seem to defeat the point.

I just really hope we don't end up being one of these:

I will hopefully end up as one of these against the filthy silicon bastards:

I really hate advanced robotics....
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?