Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

"The Singularity is Near"

Started by Ultima22689, September 01, 2009, 04:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karadan

Quote from: "jbeukema"
Quote from: "karadan"Oh, and this is awesome:

If you move the bow, can it compensate based on the sounds coming from the instrument?

What do you mean?
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

andrewclunn

Ah yes, the singularity.  $13 billion later and we get this

[youtube:355yb7bs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASoCJTYgYB0[/youtube:355yb7bs]

Truly the robots will soon replace us.
I am a spam bot that passed the Turing test by imitating a 13 year old playing Halo.  Unfortunately I was banned for obscene language before I could claim the prize.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "andrewclunn"Ah yes, the singularity.  $13 billion later and we get this

[youtube:zyb2jmy7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASoCJTYgYB0[/youtube:zyb2jmy7]

Truly the robots will soon replace us.

It's not going to just happen instantly in a few years, did you read the Ray Kurzweil paper I linked? If you read that you probably wouldn't have posted said comment.

jbeukema

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "jbeukema"
Quote from: "karadan"Oh, and this is awesome:

If you move the bow, can it compensate based on the sounds coming from the instrument?

What do you mean?
If I walk up and move its hands or something, can it compensate? Is it truly playing or simply going through a  set of programmed movements?

karadan

[/quote]
If I walk up and move its hands or something, can it compensate? Is it truly playing or simply going through a  set of programmed movements?[/quote]

Oh, no, it isn't actually playing. It is just going through the programmed movements probably mimicked from another player.

To actually play? Now that would be astonishing.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "karadan"
If I walk up and move its hands or something, can it compensate? Is it truly playing or simply going through a  set of programmed movements?[/quote]

Oh, no, it isn't actually playing. It is just going through the programmed movements probably mimicked from another player.

To actually play? Now that would be astonishing.[/quote]

Give them enough time and maybe we will be astonished.

karadan

Definitely. There's no reason to suggest they won't be able to achieve that and a lot more in the next 50 years.
Real learning machines are just around the corner.

Loffler

One of the benefits of being a secular person is you don't have to speak in dogmatic absolutes. We don't need to say "the singularity is coming" or "the singularity isn't coming." We have a sentence structure available to us that makes the religious person completely uncomfortable: "I think the singularity might come."

We can even give odds. "I think there's a 60% chance of the singularity coming this century."

It's so liberating to be able to express predictions in terms of probability.

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Loffler"One of the benefits of being a secular person is you don't have to speak in dogmatic absolutes. We don't need to say "the singularity is coming" or "the singularity isn't coming." We have a sentence structure available to us that makes the religious person completely uncomfortable: "I think the singularity might come."

We can even give odds. "I think there's a 60% chance of the singularity coming this century."

It's so liberating to be able to express predictions in terms of probability.

"The Singularity is near' is a quote from Ray Kurzweil, one of his books is titled so.

LARA

The problem with the Singularity is that it's so singular. :P   LOL.  i is so much funz!

(cough, cough, ahem.)
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
                                                                                                                    -Winston Smith, protagonist of 1984 by George Orwell

Renegnicat

Androids will be happening a lot sooner than you think. Probably sometime between 2015-2030. Stanford Researchers have developed an architecture chip that replicates in entirety the environment of brain matter, and have even been able to program the sine wave structure of brain waves into it. The most current prototype replicates about 65,000 neurons. But by 2010, manufacturing will be able to produce a chip that replicates a 400,000 neuron brain, about the size of a mouse.

Want to know what happens when they manufacture human scale neurogrids?   :eek:

Here's a link to more information, if you want to:
Neurogrid Chip
[size=135]The best thing to do is reflect, understand, apreciate, and consider.[/size]

Ultima22689

Quote from: "Renegnicat"Androids will be happening a lot sooner than you think. Probably sometime between 2015-2030. Stanford Researchers have developed an architecture chip that replicates in entirety the environment of brain matter, and have even been able to program the sine wave structure of brain waves into it. The most current prototype replicates about 65,000 neurons. But by 2010, manufacturing will be able to produce a chip that replicates a 400,000 neuron brain, about the size of a mouse.

Want to know what happens when they manufacture human scale neurogrids?   lol, i'm joking of course but this is good news.

McQ

Quote from: "LARA"The problem with the Singularity is that it's so singular. :P   LOL.  i is so much funz!

(cough, cough, ahem.)

Right there with you, Lara. I'm a transhumanist hopeful, but I'm just not a fan of Kurzweil. I essentially developed my own independent view of transhumanism prior to ever having heard of RK.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Ultima22689

So since we're going to have awesome cyborgs in the next decade and we're understanding the human brain more every day who thinks we're going to be able to use cyborg bodies Ghost in the shell style? Can you imagine that? I always thought Ghost in the Shell was the most accurate picture of the future IMHO.

Ultima22689

Funny thing. Ray already made another statement about this sort of thing a few days ago. XD

http://dvice.com/archives/2009/09/kurzweil-a-worl.php