News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Greetings

Started by Karras, June 27, 2009, 07:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karras

Hi all,

At the risk of stating the blatantly obvious, I'm new around these parts.

I've more or less always been an atheist, at least since I have been old enough to decide for myself. This is more based on a lack of any reason to believe there is no higher power than a firm conviction there is not. I guess if I'm honest, this probably qualifies me as at least partially agnostic.

No matter how open to the possibility I may be though, I do not and most likely never will believe in a benevolent god who interacts in our lives. The most I can really stretch to is the absentee landlord style god who is indifferent to our existence. In fact, on further consideration I'm not sure I even like this analogy as you generally owe a landlord something.

I just cannot rationalise the existence of a loving creator with the world we live in. Furthermore, all of the mainstream religions I have ever been exposed to contain contradictions and twisted logic that are readily apparent to even the casual outside observer.

On a side note, I consider my standard of English (as a first language) to be pretty good but I'm afraid I am sometimes an appalling typist so please do not hold this against me.

AlP

Hi Karras. Welcome! Your background sounds similar to mine. And don't worry about typos!
"I rebel -- therefore we exist." - Camus

McQ

Wlecome, Karras. Dno't wrry to much abowt tiepeng. Wea're pritty lsooe arownd hear.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Whitney

Hi Karras, welcome to the forum.  (I have to have spell check built into my browser in order to keep my posts (mostly) typo free.)