News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Penn Says: A Gift of a Bible

Started by Whitney, June 01, 2009, 06:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

[youtube:gf5sljbp]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JHS8adO3hM[/youtube:gf5sljbp]

Penn provides a friendlier way to think about religious people who politely tell us about their beliefs.

rlrose328

There have only been a few times I've ever disagreed with something Penn has had to say... and this will be one of them.  When it comes to proselytizing, I find it offensive that someone thinks they are SO right that they need to be in my face about it.  I like to think I'm smart enough to see the truck is barreling down on me that I don't need someone to shove me out of the way.  

It is nice that the guy came back a second night and gave him the little bible of Psalms (a HATEFILLED book of the bible... strange choice to give an atheist) with a personal note and phone numbers.  The guy sounds very nice, honest, forthright, etc.  But he is still trying to convert someone and that is offensive, at least to me.

I say just keep your faith to yourself and I'll keep my nonbelief to myself.  But if you share your faith, be aware that I'll share my facts.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Will

I agree with Penn and rlrose on this. I disagree with an absolute belief in the supernatural, I feel it's a monumentally dishonest way of living, but I accept that some people will believe no matter what and as long as they're not hurting anyone it's not really something that requires my energy. Assuming they've mistakenly become convinced that their belief system is 100% correct, in their mind the most honorable thing to do, as Penn said, is to proselytize. Looking at it from their subjective understanding of the universe, they're doing a good and selfless thing. Objectively, of course, they're pestering rational people with their irrational beliefs, but you can't discount their intent completely.

It's both.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

Jolly Sapper

Quote from: "Will"I agree with Penn and rlrose on this. I disagree with an absolute belief in the supernatural, I feel it's a monumentally dishonest way of living, but I accept that some people will believe no matter what and as long as they're not hurting anyone it's not really something that requires my energy. Assuming they've mistakenly become convinced that their belief system is 100% correct, in their mind the most honorable thing to do, as Penn said, is to proselytize. Looking at it from their subjective understanding of the universe, they're doing a good and selfless thing. Objectively, of course, they're pestering rational people with their irrational beliefs, but you can't discount their intent completely.

It's both.

Kinda, but at the same time it would be kinda weird for my wife to give my grandma a big black dildo because 1) my wife likes her big black dildo, 2) my wife likes my grandmother.   :D

But yes, I can wholly understand somebody giving somebody else who they care for and/or respect something that the giver has an emotional investment in.  Its like giving a girl/guy you like a mix tape, or a "mix ipod" or whatever the kids do these days.  

The giver takes things that mean a great deal to them personally, puts a huge amount of their emotional selves into the item, and then gives that item to somebody else who they respect/care for.  Its kinda sweet when its not being creepy and inappropriate.  :D

But I'm leaning towards Penn view of THAT particular instance.