News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Lying About Your Religion in Politics?

Started by Godless, February 08, 2009, 02:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godless

So my friend brought this up in a conversation: is it okay for political candidates to lie about being an atheist, saying that they are Christian, Catholic, or whatever in order to get elected? Too many people are bigoted towards atheists to vote for them regardless of what their political ideology is.

SSY

That would only confirm their bigotted views that atheists are immoral scum, the irony knows no bounds when it comes to christians.
Quote from: "Godschild"SSY: You are fairly smart and to think I thought you were a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote from: "Godschild"explain to them how and why you decided to be athiest and take the consequences that come along with it
Quote from: "Aedus"Unlike atheists, I'm not an angry prick

Whitney

In the last Congress (I don't know about this one) there were between 10 and 20 (I forgot the exact count) people who were some form of not religious who were also not out about their views.  Lori Lipman Brown of the Secular Coalition mentioned this when she spoke here in Dallas.  It's simply next to impossible to get anywhere in politics in this country if you aren't a Christian or maybe Jewish.

If you look at it from a utilitarian standpoint, a non-religious politician who seeks to promote the greater good could still be ethical in lying about his or her religious views if by doing so it would facilitate the ability to pursue their 'higher' purpose.

Honestly, Non religious people are also going to have to be more willing to speak up so everyone else can realize we are not just a fringe group.  A friend and I spoke briefly tonight about how non-religious is a larger portion of the population than Jewish yet the politicians go and try to win the Jewish vote ignoring us.  Imagine what it could be like if we started to be recognize for the influential role we do play in politics.  Sure, a lot of people may not get voted in at first but once it becomes normal for candidates to run as openly atheist, agnostic, deist it won't seem so bad to the masses.  Enough people just have to be brave enough to try it...and I do mean brave because there are crazy people out there who would want to assassinate an openly non-religious candidate.

I somewhat suspect Obama might be one of those secretly atheist/agnostic politicians.  If he is, I hope he fixes everything so that everyone considers him a great president then later comes out about his non belief with an honest explanation of why it was important to hide his views.  It would upset the fundies but I think everyone else would understand.

So, is it ethical?  I don't see how pretending to be religious in order to have a chance to make some positive changes would be unethical.  Of course, I have this view because I don't automatically associate lies with unethical action.

Nazzer

Quote from: "Whitney"I somewhat suspect Obama might be one of those secretly atheist/agnostic politicians.
Interesting, I thought I would be the only one who suspected that, but he just seemed too rational and intelligent, plus he actually acknoledged our existance in his innaugural address. However, it could just be wishful thinking on my part.

VanReal

Politicians lie about much more important things than their religious beliefs that I feel are much more important.  If someone that can and wants to do good works through elected office needs to pretend or pay lip service at a church to do so, then so be it.  It's going to depend on their voting public.  However, I picture how difficult it would be to work in government being a closet nontheist because so much of the legislation and action is based on religion, and I would find it difficult to support such things or take them seriously.  Of course sometimes you have to stomach things in order to "get the job done" and we do need nontheists in our government so I sure hope there are more fakers in there than we are aware of.
In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. (Kathy Norris)
They say I have ADHD but I think they are full of...oh, look a kitty!! (unknown)

Twiddler

While I would love an ideal world where a politician can be an open atheist and get elected to office, I just don't see it happening in this current world so I don't blame the politicians who lie to become a politician.  It'd be political suicide for them to admit being an atheist.

Kyuuketsuki

Seems to me that in the US it is necessary to be Christian in some careers in order to get ahead and in order to change things you need to do it from within not without so no choice I guess.

Kyu
James C. Rocks: UK Tech Portal & Science, Just Science

[size=150]Not Long For This Forum [/size]