News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

The reaction to the election.

Started by karadan, November 19, 2008, 01:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chemistry08

Quote from: "laetusatheos"In a practical sense....do you think we could form a militia capable of overthrowing the government if it were necessary?

I think the purpose of the 2nd amendment is no longer one which could be realized.  That doesn't mean we should completely toss it out, but we also have to realize that the founding fathers could in no way foresee all the various weapons we have now nor the size of our military force.

Power in numbers!! For instance, there are over 80 million gun owners residing in this country. United States military 1,436,642 (active duty) 1,458,500 (reserves). Even if a tenth of the gun owners in this country stood up for their 2nd amendment right, the US military would be heavily out numbered. And how many of the enlisted do you think would fight against their own country!? Not to mention against a right that they probably exercise as civilians!?

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
-Thomas Jefferson

Chemistry08

Quote from: "Sophus"
Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "Sophus"I desperately wanted McCain to win but the outcome did not surprise me. Oh well...

You were happy to have Palin as the second in command? McCain, i believe would have been a very capable president but Palin? Seriously, some of those interviews where real questions were asked of her.... All i can say is what the f*ck.

I wasn't crazy about Palin but McCain was by far and away my preference over Obama. But even though I don't think Obama is going to do a single thing he promised (expect provide "temporary" relief) I will support him as our President and wish him the best. He seems a decent fellow (for a politician).

Hallelujah!! HAHA! It sounds like another atheist who leans towards the right. That is a rare find!

Sophus

Quote from: "Chemistry08"Hallelujah!! HAHA! It sounds like another atheist who leans towards the right. That is a rare find!
Actually, I'm usually pretty liberal I just happen to trust John McCain much more than any politician. He is a remarkable man who without a doubt puts his country first.
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

oldschooldoc

Quote from: "laetusatheos"Where did so many people get the idea that Obama wants to take 'our' (I don't have one) guns away?  He specifically stated that he does not want to take the guns away, he just wants better gun control.  It's already illegal for citizens to own some types of weapons (you can't have an atom bomb) because they are simply unnecessary for self defense reasons.  Similarly, you don't need a bazooka to defend your property from a robber.  It also doesn't hurt anyone to have to go through a waiting period so their background can be properly checked.

You know, at my work there are a few guys who refuse to believe Obama isn't going to take their guns. They cling to his statement about clinging. Coincidence? I think not. He is not going to take peoples' guns away, at least not all of them. Who needs an Uzi or AK47? Nobody, except the military (when necessary for defense of course).
OldSchoolDoc

"I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" - Neil Peart
"Imagine there's no Heaven, it's easy if you try..." - John Lennon

karadan

Quote from: "oldschooldoc"
Quote from: "laetusatheos"Where did so many people get the idea that Obama wants to take 'our' (I don't have one) guns away?  He specifically stated that he does not want to take the guns away, he just wants better gun control.  It's already illegal for citizens to own some types of weapons (you can't have an atom bomb) because they are simply unnecessary for self defense reasons.  Similarly, you don't need a bazooka to defend your property from a robber.  It also doesn't hurt anyone to have to go through a waiting period so their background can be properly checked.

You know, at my work there are a few guys who refuse to believe Obama isn't going to take their guns. They cling to his statement about clinging. Coincidence? I think not. He is not going to take peoples' guns away, at least not all of them. Who needs an Uzi or AK47? Nobody, except the military (when necessary for defense of course).

I've always found America's preoccupation with guns rather odd. As a Brit, i just don't see the point. I've fired guns before and it was fun. I used to shoot on a range for the CCF. I've also been clay pidgeon shooting many times. It had its time and place, though. I certainly do not want to own one.

I couldn't imagine living in a country where eveyone is not only allowed to own guns but positively encouraged to worship them. The level of gun nuttery in the USA is bizarre. Considering Canada have pretty much the same laws but hardly any of the gun crime, makes it all the more strange.

I used to be part of a forum and one time a guy posted pictures of the armoury under his house. He had over 2000 guns.....  :hmm:  

If the laws were changed in the UK so that everyone was allowed to own guns, i'd move to another country in a heartbeat.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.