News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Religion Speech?

Started by bluebeard220, November 11, 2008, 07:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluebeard220

I was planning on giving a speech on Christianity in my Public Speaking class, which, in Kentucky, if you say anything about being atheist or agnostic, you get shunned.  We're talking about extremely closed-minded, conservative, Jesus-loving people.  It is a college course, so the topic is acceptable.  The speech has to be persuasive. I'm having some difficulties coming up with just the right way to make the speech not seem harmful, or mean.  I mainly want to show my classmates that being atheist or agnostic isn't a bad thing?  Any ideas?

Lila

What exactly about Christianity is it? Are you trying to persuade people that Christianity is incorrect, or that there are other ways, or...

karadan

Quote from: "bluebeard220"I was planning on giving a speech on Christianity in my Public Speaking class, which, in Kentucky, if you say anything about being atheist or agnostic, you get shunned.  We're talking about extremely closed-minded, conservative, Jesus-loving people.  It is a college course, so the topic is acceptable.  The speech has to be persuasive. I'm having some difficulties coming up with just the right way to make the speech not seem harmful, or mean.  I mainly want to show my classmates that being atheist or agnostic isn't a bad thing?  Any ideas?

Wow, that is a scary prospect. Good for you for even giving it a thought though.

You need to weigh up the pro's and con's of such action. Is it really worth it at the end of the day? I understand the point of trying to put forward a decent valid argument but if these people really are that rabidly closed-minded, all that can come of it is hardship, lonliness and pain. :( It seems like you are probably vastly outnumbered. I just think your class mates simply will not understand. Once it is out that you are an atheist, you might be setting yourself up for a worrying time for the duration of your college stay. I feel for you. I hope it works out well, though.

If i was in that situation, i must confess that i'd never show my true feelings. My sanity is more important to me than my pride.
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.