News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Welcome Me!

Started by monkeyNutBread, August 12, 2008, 07:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyNutBread

Hi All. I've been browsing through the forum for a couple of days now, and I am happy that such a place exists! I was raised as a lax Christian and became an agnostic after noticing a lot of inconsistencies in the Bible, one specifically being the whole story of creation in the book of Genesis and how exactly it fits in with dinosaur fossils. I was looking for a place to vent some of my ideas, but most people that I know are either too religious to want really listen to me concerning my thoughts, too uninterested in what I have to say, or the type of person that I don't want to offend because I respect them too much.

I am agnostic because I am positive that the God of the Bible does not exist. I am also pretty sure that the gods of other religions are in the same boat as the Christian god, although honestly I have never studied those other religions. Despite the reasons that some of the other poster's provide for a god's nonexistence, I still can't help but hope that there is some greater power out there that ties everything together, a power that a human simply can't know. I am a pretty logical person for the most part, and I KNOW that there is no proof of a greater power AT ALL. But just as no amount of evidence can prove the existence of a god outside of the god coming to Earth and saying "Hey bitches, I'm actually real", I think no amount of information could DISPROVE a higher power's existence either, outside of us learning EVERYTHING THERE IS TO KNOW. I think that that is the basis of faith in modern religion, and while it is often misguided, it does have some truth to it.

So if you want to tear me a new one, pat me on the back, or just say hi, go right ahead. :D
I capitalize the letter g in "God" like how I capitalize the letters h and f in "Huckleberry Finn".

Asmodean

Quote from: "monkeyNutBread"So if you want to tear me a new one, pat me on the back, or just say hi, go right ahead. :unsure:

I want to operate on you. You see, I've never seen a human spleen before. Cans I do a spleanectomy on you? Cans I?! Cans I?!  :D

Welcome aboard! The kitchen is that way. -> The bathrooms are that way <-
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Faithless

Welcome!  I'm new too, so welcome to us both!
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." - Carl Sagan

"It ain't those parts of the Bible that I can't understand that bother me, it is the parts that I do understand." - Mark Twain

rlrose328

Welcome!  :banna:

Love your name!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

afreethinker30

Welcome to the forum.Great name.  :D   Pat on the back..No ripping here.To much hate in this world as is.

myleviathan

Welcome! Regarding something you said in your OP:

QuoteI still can't help but hope that there is some greater power out there that ties everything together, a power that a human simply can't know.

I just want to ask why. If there were a power that some how effects our lives, or 'ties everything together' - shouldn't it be apparent to everyone?
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, MonkeyNutBread.   I hope you enjoy your stay.    :)