News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

God makes you special

Started by afreethinker30, July 15, 2008, 06:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientToaster

QuoteYeah, I can completely understand that. God, this huge, powerful, wonderful, holy thing loves me? Amazing. I was always taught that. It always blew my mind and kept my faith solid.
Then one year, I heard a sermon on how we are less than the scum of the earth and God doesn't love us because we are special because there is NOTHING special about us. God loves us because He is amazing. He created us for His glory, because He deserves it. It kind of killed it for me. But it somehow strengthened my faith... I'm not saying that all believe that or trying to put people down or anything. This just reminded me of that sermon and I'm just describing it.

Yeah, I've heard it put that way before too. There's some merit to the idea--I think the reason God loves us is ultimately because His own nature compels him to--, but it's always seemed a bit silly to me to say that who I am doesn't have anything to do with that. It seems more like it's that He loves me because I'm me, warts and all, and He loves me for his own glory. If you see what I mean.

Austin Schaefer
People are usually more convinced by reasons they discover themselves than by those found by others. -- Blaise Pascal

afreethinker30

Quote from: "AncientToaster"
QuoteYeah, I can completely understand that. God, this huge, powerful, wonderful, holy thing loves me? Amazing. I was always taught that. It always blew my mind and kept my faith solid.
Then one year, I heard a sermon on how we are less than the scum of the earth and God doesn't love us because we are special because there is NOTHING special about us. God loves us because He is amazing. He created us for His glory, because He deserves it. It kind of killed it for me. But it somehow strengthened my faith... I'm not saying that all believe that or trying to put people down or anything. This just reminded me of that sermon and I'm just describing it.

Yeah, I've heard it put that way before too. There's some merit to the idea--I think the reason God loves us is ultimately because His own nature compels him to--, but it's always seemed a bit silly to me to say that who I am doesn't have anything to do with that. It seems more like it's that He loves me because I'm me, warts and all, and He loves me for his own glory. If you see what I mean.

Austin Schaefer

We are made in his image therefore to love himself he must love us. :beer:  Maybe god has some self esteem issues.

Will

I made myself special. You made yourself special. We're all special people. Special people all the time. Special people on my mind. Special people brown and white. Special people getting all uptight.

Sorry, I was listening to Beck this morning.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

jrosebud

How much happier can you be than realizing that a supernatural being thinks you're special?

When you come to the conclusion that you're special in and of yourself, when you make the choice to see that your life is amazing - regardless of what anyone else or anything else might think - you surpass any meaning an outside party could ever inscribe on your existence.  Be your own god.  Create your world shaped by your own thoughts.  Construct your own meaning.  It's far more interesting and fulfilling than saying "God made me to praise him in his glory."
"Every post you can hitch your faith on
Is a pie in the sky,
Chock full of lies,
A tool we devise
To make sinking stones fly."

~from A Comet Apears by The Shins

susangail

Quote from: "AncientToaster"

Austin Schaefer
Yeah, I get you. We had a discussion in small groups after the sermon (which was a week-long video sermon) and we came to that conclusion.
When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and let the world wonder how you did it.

afreethinker30

Quote from: "Willravel"I made myself special. You made yourself special. We're all special people. Special people all the time. Special people on my mind. Special people brown and white. Special people getting all uptight.

Sorry, I was listening to Beck this morning.

:beer: