News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard....

Started by Big Mac, August 12, 2006, 03:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

So I was at the local gunshop eyeballing the Mossberg 590 A1 I was about to put on layaway when I over hear this fat obnoxious guy brag about how he is close friends with all the cops in the area. He went on to say that he could go outside, fire a few shots in the air and when they came they would just laugh about it. Such stupidity made it tempting to just swiftly kick this man in the balls. And gun-owners wonder why a lot of people think we are stupid podunks....

I know I'm probably out there but anyone else hear of a dumb thing involving firearms? Something dangerous, stupid, macho, etc.?

I have another one that'll show what I mean.

I'm at my favorite store in my hometown (This one has almost every military rifle/shotgun/pistol you could want, and several of them at that) when this slick character walks in. Mr. Slick is talking about this and that and he sees a Desert Eagle (which I found is Hebrew for Piece of Shit) and says, "Oh man, that's what the Secret Service carries, innit?!" For some reason he invoked John Travolta in my head.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

MommaSquid

I lived in South Florida very briefly, and for about a week before New Years Eve the local media (newspaper and TV) did a campaign about proper and improper celebration.  Certain types of fireworks were legal, others were illegal, etc.

Their focus seemed to be on the fact that firing a gun into the air was not a safe, legal way of ringing in the New Year.  I guess a lot of the Caribbean immigrants were in the habit of firing guns as a means of celebration and a child had been killed by a stray bullet the previous year.  What goes up must come down.

(P.S.  You can put a gun on layaway?  Awesome!)

Big Mac

Well the shop owner admitted that not many shops do it anymore. In fact I had no idea until a guy before me put a yugo AK (with a beautiful underfolder stock and a special lever to cut off the gas to allow for launching grenades, which I had been considering trading my WASR-10 for) on layaway. I saw a Winchester 1897 and was considering getting a better shotgun than my Mossberg 500A but then I saw an even better weapon than both of them.....The Mossberg 590 A1 with bayonet lug, heavy barrel, ghost ring sights (with bright red sights for easier use during the day and night), and nine-shot capacity and I knew I just had to have it. The 1897 was one of those new Norinco guns and I never would buy a Chinese gun if you had to put a gun to my head.

My friend got hit by bird shot that was fired in celebration on July 4th. He was really just peppered with it and didn't even go to the hospital. I didn't know birdshot was that weak at such a distance.

McQ

Yeah, it strange, but when I was younger I always thought that a bullet couldn't do too much damage coming back down, since it would reach a terminal velocity and go no faster. Then I realized after researching a bit more that the terminal velocity for a bullet is a whole lot faster than for a skydiver, and it could sure as hell kill you! Here's a quick blurb from a physics grad student on bullets and terminal velocity.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/de ... .Ph.r.html
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Big Mac

Maybe enough Arabs will do it so we can just get the oil?

I just don't get who can be that stupid I'd never fire a weapon into the air, not only is a dangerous habit but a wasteful one. Ammo isn't getting cheaper!!!

Squid

Quote from: "Big Mac"So I was at the local gunshop eyeballing the Mossberg 590 A1 I ...

Oooooo.... :) .  While I like Mossberg and many of their models, I've also found an affinity for many Benellis as well.  And for some reason I really like the old Remington 870 w/ pistol grip and stock...gotta have that stock to keep a solid shooting platform.

Erinos

Quote from: "McQ"Yeah, it strange, but when I was younger I always thought that a bullet couldn't do too much damage coming back down, since it would reach a terminal velocity and go no faster. Then I realized after researching a bit more that the terminal velocity for a bullet is a whole lot faster than for a skydiver, and it could sure as hell kill you! Here's a quick blurb from a physics grad student on bullets and terminal velocity.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/de ... .Ph.r.html

I know this may sound lame, but that information may be outdated or incorrect, because the T.V. said so!  :lol: (But yes, people have died from bullets fired into the air)

Anyways, there's a show on the Discovery channel called Mythbusters, were they test myths and try to decide weather they're possible or completely false.

I had to search google pretty hard to find this link, but it's basically an overview of an episode where they tested the velocity of a bullet fired straight up. Here's the link...

Scroll down the page a little, and look for the Mohave Desert testing
as that was a test in the desert in which they actually fired a few types of guns straight up into the air. There's also other tests that they've done, but nothing beats actually firing a gun straight into the air.

Or if you don't want to read...In short, they proved that its unlikely that a bullet fired straight up is lethal, but it's near impossible to fire straight up without some sort of firing mechanism (other than a hand).
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.

MySpace

Big Mac

Quote from: "Squid"
Quote from: "Big Mac"So I was at the local gunshop eyeballing the Mossberg 590 A1 I ...

Oooooo.... :) .  While I like Mossberg and many of their models, I've also found an affinity for many Benellis as well.  And for some reason I really like the old Remington 870 w/ pistol grip and stock...gotta have that stock to keep a solid shooting platform.

I used to have a Wingmaster but I sold it after much thought. I regret it because those are probably the easiest shotguns to customize but the Mossberg 590 A1 has enough standard features to make me only consider a heat shield and side saddle.

I have a Benelli Nova and I do admit, Benellis are the best when it comes to recoil, they must have something amazing in the stock to reduce it better.

Squid

I haven't picked up a firearm in a good while.  The ones I used to own have been lost to pawn shops past because of the poor student syndrome.

Big Mac

Well maybe we can arrange a little shooting time some day. I have an AK that needs to be fully broken in......that and I'm about to need to break my new Mossberg 590 A1 in. Eh? Eh?

Squid

Ooooo...*drools a bit*....

[Homer]..mmmmm....shooting...mmmmm...[/Homer]

Tom62

The Mossberg 590 A1  is indeed a beauty. Such a pity that they have so tough gun laws here in Europe, because I'd love to own one. It is very diffícult to get a gun (unless you are a criminal).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Big Mac

Exactly, Tom, exactly. When you outlaw guns only the outlaws will have guns. I bet the crime rate is worse because of that. After all, if you were a sociopathic punk whose only fear was being attacked back, you would have a field day in a country that restricts weapons and also punishes people severely for defending themselves.

A couple of more days and it's mine!

Tom62

You are absolutely right Big Mac. The problem is caused here by leftist governments that claim that criminals are "poor people who were treated badly when they were young and now need our help". In their utopian world, there is no room for guns. Welcome to the real world, where Eastern European criminals are invading the west and are better armed than the local police force.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Big Mac

Damn skippy. What's funny is this guy I used to work with would make retarded claims like "Guns are not needed for self-defense, you just have to study Martial Arts." This guy was a twig, and he claimed he could take me. By twig I mean I have at least 40 pounds on him. Not to mention I'm definitely stronger. But he honestly believes people shouldn't have guns because "only criminals need guns". It's people like that that make me wish we could sterilize morons.