News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Variations on a HAF Emblem

Started by hermes2015, May 03, 2018, 06:19:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

I've been playing with animations of the HAF emblem as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-EH_F0bDTHVCz1M0xPHT59i4swMNW6oY/view?usp=sharing

I can't figure out how to display an MP4 movie in a message here.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 05, 2018, 11:30:18 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 05, 2018, 07:30:10 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 05, 2018, 05:22:28 AM
Quote from: Recusant on May 04, 2018, 11:11:49 PM
I just spotted the fish on the fork handle. A great subtle detail.  :thumbsup:

The emblem is engraved into the handle.

hermes2015, I agree with Recusant, you have captured the, "subtle detail," but will you be able to capture the, "member"s 'essence'" the way BP does? You know, that one thing...Bruce's halo, BCE's cat, my,  psychedelic spoon, etc., or will you work with BP, because he has done a great job so far.  :smilenod:

:notsure: Maybe Dragonia doesn't agree with me, but that's OK.

BP, Marvin, The Magic Pudding, etc., they are (he is) a loved and respected dinosaur, here. :grin:

I"m just saying.

No, no. Please don't see this as a "competition". I wouldn't dream of even trying to do anything in Bad Penny's class, let alone to usurp his role as cutlery creator at HAF. I don't have the creative imagination to make cutlery for HAF members - I know my limitations. What I'm doing is simply using the HAF emblem to improve my 3D skills in an attempt to take my mind off the hip replacement due at the end of May.

I suppose you're being sufficiently obsequious.
JJ needs new cutlery.
Possibly forge related.
He's trying to make cheese.
The photo comp needs a trophy.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 05, 2018, 12:36:02 PM

hermes2015, I agree with Recusant, you have captured the, "subtle detail," but will you be able to capture the, "member"s 'essence'" the way BP does? You know, that one thing...Bruce's halo, BCE's cat, my,  psychedelic spoon, etc., or will you work with BP, because he has done a great job so far.  :smilenod:

BP, Marvin, The Magic Pudding, etc., they are (he is) a loved and respected dinosaur, here. :grin:

I"m just saying.

No, no. Please don't see this as a "competition". I wouldn't dream of even trying to do anything in Bad Penny's class, let alone to usurp his role as cutlery creator at HAF. I don't have the creative imagination to make cutlery for HAF members - I know my limitations. What I'm doing is simply using the HAF emblem to improve my 3D skills in an attempt to take my mind off the hip replacement due at the end of May.

JJ needs new cutlery.
Possibly forge related.

I thought I would do a bit of forelock touching. It has always stood me in good stead.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 05, 2018, 12:44:04 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 05, 2018, 12:36:02 PM

I"m just saying.

JJ needs new cutlery.
Possibly forge related.

I thought I would do a bit of forelock touching. It has always stood me in good stead.

Have you attempted an improved version of your spoon? I wasn't happy with the bevel.
The horizontal lines in the spoon might be the problem and too few pixels to work with.
I did try filing back the spoon to remove the black lines but it just didn't work out.
I don't think you necessarily need a 3d program to achieve an apparent 3d effect, Photoshop's native layer styles can be effective.

Traditionally forelocks are meant to be tugged you know, not merely touched.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 05, 2018, 12:57:43 PM
Have you attempted an improved version of your spoon? I wasn't happy with the bevel.
The horizontal lines in the spoon might be the problem and too few pixels to work with.
I did try filing back the spoon to remove the black lines but it just didn't work out.
I don't think you necessarily need a 3d program to achieve an apparent 3d effect, Photoshop's native layer styles can be effective.

Traditionally forelocks are meant to be tugged you know, not merely touched.

No, I found your version nice enough. Perhaps I should play with it, now that I have your permission (see, humble as ever).

I am much more comfortable working in 3D; it gives me the freedom to try different textures and orientations. I am more at home with it, because I design my jewellery and sculptures in the round in Rhino and Cinema 4D. That means I can turn the object around and see it from all angles. With Photoshop you only have one point of view. I have also been playing with ZBrush on and off for a year now. I've been told it is worth the pain to penetrate its weird user interface. It's very unlike any other Windows program.

I find tugging in public a bit awkward.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 05, 2018, 11:37:02 AM
Quote from: Tank on May 05, 2018, 07:56:57 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 05, 2018, 07:28:51 AM
Quote from: Tank on May 05, 2018, 07:22:05 AM
I was thinking of making Rosy a rainbow on a clear background rather than a rainbow background. Does that make sense?

You mean the lines of the current image filled in with rainbow colours? Perhaps you could do a rough sketch to show me.
That's exactly what I mean. The current black/red logo done in a rainbow.

Here is an attempt. Not sure how successfully it will scale down to a small image, though. It may end up looking too busy.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VkKP2fc2F6nnt82gRvXwBlw1nw6jiiPa/view?usp=sharing

Perfect!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Icarus

Rainbow HAF symbols  might appeal to any of our LGBT members.  Seems to me that they would be twice damned  by the Christian right or other bible thumper types in that case. 

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on May 06, 2018, 01:11:24 AM
Rainbow HAF symbols  might appeal to any of our LGBT members.  Seems to me that they would be twice damned  by the Christian right or other bible thumper types in that case.

They will always find a reason to damn anyone.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱