News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Volunteering for an experiment

Started by xSilverPhinx, March 17, 2018, 09:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Have any of you ever volunteered for an experiment in a university or hospital and would like to talk about your experience? :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

...or received payment to participate in a study, I forgot it isn't illegal to pay study subjects in other countries.  ::)

Dave

Yes.

After my MI I was approached by a research team from the University of Oxford (the John Radcliffe Hospital, where I was treated, is part of the university group).

The research was to investigate a finding that a 1gram daily doses of vitamin C would aid blood flow by smoothing the inner surface of blood vessels. This involved a baseline drawn by taking my BMI and usual readings then - based on my BMI - excercising inside an MRI unit rigged as a spectrum analyser to determine some compound in my leg muscle. I had to push with my foot on a pedal that lifted a measured weight of water in time with a metronome.

Then I was given a big jar of large, but nice orange flavoured, vitC tablets to take every day for a month. Then back to Oxford for the same test plus some new tests. Firstly on a bike attached to a generator, oxygen supply and gas analyser to check my oxygen metabolism (several blood tests during the whole session as well.)

After that onto a gurney with yet another pedal-weight arrangement. This time they put a large BP cuff on my thigh plus a mercury thread gauge to measure the thigh circumference. Sequence of measure - excercise - measure - rest - measure.

It took me a few minutes to work out the method, as the bloke in charge watched a graph of my BP and thigh circumference on a screen, and start asking questions. He was amused and the nurse seemed almost shocked!

I was called back again, about two months later, to be told the results - which were that the vitC made no significant difference over the several victims patients they tested. But whilst waiting I picked up a copy of Readers' Digest which had one of their collections of recent medical research findings in it. One of those, from Australia, claimed that large doses of vitC made the inner surfaces of blood vessels rough . . . I showed that to the doctor giving me the results, she threw the magazine in the bin!

A bit later I also helped with some research where microbubbles were injected into my blood as a contrast aid for visualising the heart using ultrasound. I think this was intended to replace the use of radionuclide MUGA scans to measure heart volume and ejection factor. Been there a few times, first time in returning to work about 3 hours later someone sneaked up behind me with our Geiger counter - it screamed its head off!

Think they are using both methods now.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

That's interesting, Dave.  ;D Were you also paid to participate? If not, what motivated you to stick to it for around a month?

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 18, 2018, 11:35:20 AM
That's interesting, Dave.  ;D Were you also paid to participate? If not, what motivated you to stick to it for around a month?

For the first one they paid fairly generous mileage. There was no payment at all for the second, should have inquired when I agreed to participate - I was not exactly flash with cash in those days.

Motivation? Curiosity as much as a "service to others", maybe more. Theory, methods, technology and results are all of interest to me. I have my name on the "local" register for any trials or experiments, don't fancy the rotten drive to Oxford anymore! So far I have only been asked once - at a time when I was just about immobile with a foot injury!

No one

I am part of this ongoing "experiment" called life. Although, I don't remember ever signing up or volunteering for it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on March 18, 2018, 01:56:15 PM
I am part of this ongoing "experiment" called life. Although, I don't remember ever signing up or volunteering for it.

Me too. Who do I sue? :P

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on March 18, 2018, 12:39:41 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 18, 2018, 11:35:20 AM

For the first one they paid fairly generous mileage. There was no payment at all for the second, should have inquired when I agreed to participate - I was not exactly flash with cash in those days.

Motivation? Curiosity as much as a "service to others", maybe more. Theory, methods, technology and results are all of interest to me. I have my name on the "local" register for any trials or experiments, don't fancy the rotten drive to Oxford anymore! So far I have only been asked once - at a time when I was just about immobile with a foot injury!

8)

Those are good reasons.

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 18, 2018, 07:55:59 PM

Your parents.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on March 18, 2018, 09:33:35 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 18, 2018, 07:55:59 PM

Your parents.

:lol: It just doesn't feel right though, they tried their best to raise me. :P

No one

No one:

Aregentium:
Me too. Who do I sue?

Tank:
Your parents

I thought one could not get blood from a stone.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: No one on March 18, 2018, 10:15:06 PM
No one:

Aregentium:
Me too. Who do I sue?

Tank:
Your parents

I thought one could not get blood from a stone.

As far as I know you can get silver veins! :smilenod:

Dragonia

I actually volunteered for a study, not really an experiment.
But I had to just do an interview on Skype with a woman doing some research for a thesis or something on peoples' experiences with "coming out" as an atheist to family and friends.
I didn't feel like I helped much, but I had to fill out official forms and waivers and stuff. It was only rewarding because of the thought that I may be helping her, once she became a psychologist, to relate better and support better, people who were coming out of religion and having a hard time with it.

What I really want to volunteer for is an ongoing Alzheimer's study. But I'm still too young and they won't take me yet.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

xSilverPhinx

Dragonia, maybe there are memory-related studies you could participate in that do not exclude your age group? :smilenod:

I've never volunteered for any, but if I could it would be for something related to memory.  :D

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 20, 2018, 10:59:39 AM
Dragonia, maybe there are memory-related studies you could participate in that do not exclude your age group? :smilenod:

I've never volunteered for any, but if I could it would be for something related to memory.  :D

I wuz gonns do that but krpt forgetting to seek it out.