News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Hamza bin Walayat

Started by Dave, March 04, 2018, 08:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Hamza bin Walayat is a Pakistani immigrant who applied for refugee status. I have put it here because immigration is a growing "current event".

The British Home Office has decided to set written tests for refugee status applicants. According to the British Humanist Association email, "The Home Office intends to deport him for his inability to recognise Plato or Aristotle in a test of his humanism that involved being able to name classical philosophers."

I wonder if xtian immigrants have to do the same?

QuotePakistani humanist denied UK asylum after failing to identify Plato
Man who renounced Islam says he has received death threats from family members in Pakistan
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/17/pakistani-humanist-denied-uk-asylum-after-failing-to-identify-plato

QuotePhilosophers urge rethink of Pakistani humanist's asylum
Letter from 120 leading thinkers asks Amber Rudd to reconsider case of Hamza bin Walayat
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/26/philosophers-urge-rethink-of-pakistani-humanist-hamza-bin-walayat-asylum

I wrote to my MP (Labour), not expecting much, but he says that he will "put in a Parliamentary Question" because he and others are concerned about the policy if the government to return refugees regardless of danger faced, unless they already have a court death sentence on them.

There is a petition going about it seems, will be looking for that. There is not a lot else that I can do.

Hamza bin Walayat is only an example, use this thread to highlight any similar cases you might wish to.

Petition:
https://www.change.org/p/amber-rudd-grant-asylum-in-the-uk-to-humanist-hamza-bin-walayat

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on March 04, 2018, 08:37:49 PM
Hamza bin Walayat is a Pakistani immigrant who applied for refugee status. I have put it here because immigration is a growing "current event".

The British Home Office has decided to set written tests for refugee status applicants. According to the British Humanist Association email, "The Home Office intends to deport him for his inability to recognise Plato or Aristotle in a test of his humanism that involved being able to name classical philosophers."

I wonder how many native citizens can do the same? These tests are absurd and beside the point.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: Sandra Craft on March 04, 2018, 11:27:40 PM
Quote from: Dave on March 04, 2018, 08:37:49 PM

I wonder how many native citizens can do the same? These tests are absurd and beside the point.

Well, it's a test of whether the person has the belief he or she says they are in danger because of, or is just claiming that belief as a lever to get the door open. I did the British nationality test online once, IIRC I only just scraped through. Especially on the historical and political questions.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74