News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

It's not a myth!

Started by Dave, December 12, 2017, 12:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Man flu is real! Men suffer more from the common cold than women!

QuoteWomen have long moaned about the men in their lives coming down with "man flu" and turning into feeble, moaning boys.

But according to a new study, there is actually some truth to the idea of man flu.

It all comes down to our cavemen ancestors - men have weaker immune systems than women which used to be in order to stop them going out hunting when ill.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/man-flu-colds-women-gender-scientists-immune-system-caveman-testosterone-a8105006.html

Well, maybe...
:smilenod:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

The full paper is available for free:

"The science behind 'man flu'" | The BMJ

The author admits to having a personal agenda.  :)

QuoteTired of being accused of over-reacting, I searched the available evidence (box) to determine whether men really experience worse symptoms and whether this could have any evolutionary basis.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Hmm...I don't know.  :chin: I've bookmarked this to (carefully) read later.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

My tongue is firmly in my cheek, which is why it's not in "Science"! (Makes talking a bit difficult though.)

:grin:

But be interesting to see how it develops.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on December 12, 2017, 06:59:38 PM
My tongue is firmly in my cheek, which is why it's not in "Science"! (Makes talking a bit difficult though.)

:grin:

But be interesting to see how it develops.

Heh. :grin:

Yeah, I don't know, maybe it is real, maybe it isn't.  :shrug: I don't think there is necessarily an evolutionary reason for everything though, some phenotypes or characteristics "piggyback" on others which do suffer selective pressures, but aren't necessarily selected for themselves.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Oddly enough I read an article on this subject earlier today from CNN as the headline caught my eye (I originally thought it said Man-Boobs)

Sabra L. Klein, associate professor at Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, had this to say, "In my opinion, we do not yet have enough science to conclude that 'man flu' is real".

CNN Article here...I think it just boils down to us men are real babies when sick. (Well all you other men, not real men like me and Icarus) 8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 13, 2017, 02:29:59 AM
Oddly enough I read an article on this subject earlier today from CNN as the headline caught my eye (I originally thought it said Man-Boobs)

Sabra L. Klein, associate professor at Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health, had this to say, "In my opinion, we do not yet have enough science to conclude that 'man flu' is real".

CNN Article here...I think it just boils down to us men are real babies when sick. (Well all you other men, not real men like me and Icarus) 8)

Not having a partner to play up to I just have to suck in my gut (that usually causes a coughing fit) and man-up as well! Well, I make sure anyone who phones knows how close to death's door I am, of course - gotta play the sympathy game . . .