News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

ong son su chee

Started by Bad Penny II, November 16, 2017, 03:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

ong son su chee, ye well I make no apologies, Google knew what I meant.
Aung San Suu Kyi, I like my spelling better anyway.
A hero or at least an admirable person has lost her glamour.
Ye, an unposed  ethnic cleansing 'll do that to ya rep'

Mugabe might be on the way out,
an unfortunate choice of wife apparently

QuotePeace has come to Zimbabwe
Third World's right on the one
Now's the time for celebration
'Cause we've only just begun

In hindsight an unfortunate choice of lyrics.

What's this thread about?
I don't know but it mentions Mugabe (who I spelt correctly) and Aung San Suu Kyi who are in the news.
It's an opportunity to look at their names and go hmmm, mmm, hmmm, what else can you do?

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

Political power changes and corrupts everyone it touches. If there are no strong democratic institutions in place to check it, the corruption becomes a cancer.

OldGit

Quote from: Lord Acton"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: OldGit on November 20, 2017, 09:32:34 AM
Quote from: Lord Acton"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

Unquestionably accurate.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 20, 2017, 01:39:04 AM
Political power changes and corrupts everyone it touches. If there are no strong democratic institutions in place to check it, the corruption becomes a cancer.

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on November 20, 2017, 09:04:37 PM
Quote from: OldGit on November 20, 2017, 09:32:34 AM

Unquestionably accurate.

This seems a bit trite, it's repeated often in a solemn manner so often goes unchallenged.
"Power tends to corrupt"  Well I suppose that's OK, I'm not sure how strong the tendency is though. Some would be corrupt in their small lives, when they make it big their corruption may merely scale up.

Mugabe was a hero to western liberals, now he's a monster.  I suspect he wasn't a Mr Nice who was corrupted by power, he was probably always an asshole.
Possibly power attracts the corruptible and he was corruptible, or very much attracted to power and loath to let it go.

Aung San Suu Kyi, was the darling of the lefties, Nobel peace prize for fork sake.

QuoteHer father, Aung San, founded the modern Burmese army and negotiated Burma's independence from the British Empire in 1947; he was assassinated by his rivals in the same year.
How sad, poor Aung.

Has she been corrupted?
Is compromise corruption?
What of the art of the possible?

Being wary of heroes seems prudent but there still are admirable powerful people about, Mandela's story is still shiny. 

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

My mind goes all philodophical over this, and I hate philosophy because - though it might help us to understand things - it rarely affects the mibdscand actions of those with the means to affect life. Those with a personal or groupthink agenda will just go ahead anyway.

From what I see:
1. ASSK cannot be the official national leader because she is married to a foreigner.
2. She holds her authority largely by permission of the military, Myanmar is hardly a democracy. She has no absolute power.
3. She cannot order the military into or to cease any form of action.
4. Any attemot to directly confront the military could result in a return to Myanmar's previous situation.
5. Should the above happen expect even worse.
6. Military action, legal or otherwise, against a "vulnerable" opponent causes very quick change, economic, political and diplomatic "solutions"  move at a comparstve glacial speed.

I dislike ASSK's equivocation but she is definitely between a rock and a hard place. She had popular support because of her own and her father's history and she was a distinct contrast to the militsry regime. But many of her erstwhile dupporters probsbly support the eviction of the Rohingya muslims, overtly or covertly. If she destroys her own popularity (= power in this case) base she might as well go into a convent.

So she can in no way effect immediate military policy change nor confront her popular support and remain in anyway functional in changing the future. This, of course, does not help the current dituation, but that is one thst is shared by the refugees from Africa and the Near/Middle East. Also by victims of drought, wide-spread natural phenomona, local ideoligical/religious violence and so forth. It exists in nations that csn spend billions on nuclear weapons and satellite launches whilst the poor sleep in the gutter and crap wherever they want and feel safe to do so.

Perhaps ASSK is herself a kind of victim in this, who knows what conflicts she suffers in private? Could any one person on Earth fo better? It took decades for Mandela's "semi-martyrdom" to have effect whilst thousands still suffered. It would have probably made little difference in terms of the time taken for reform should he have been free and speaking publicaly, though that might have  inspired even more bombings and violence on both sides.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74