News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Alphabet Soup -- HAF Photo Challenge Poll

Started by Recusant, November 09, 2017, 08:19:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Congratulations to hermes2015! His still life photo #10 narrowly beat out xSilverphinx's inventive Scrabble #7, and he's running up an impressive string of victories here. Perhaps between the two of them, they'll come up with the theme for our next photo challenge.  :D

Honorable mention to Guardian85, Tank, and Dave as well.

Thank you again to all who submitted entries, and to all who voted in this edition.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Many thanks to all who voted for my photo. I will confer with xSilverphinx to decide on the next challenge.

Here is some background information on my photos.

A tray of beads on sale in Bodrum, Turkey

House of Cards toy designed by Charles Eames. Photo taken in my apartment.

Street scene in Dhaka, Bangladesh
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

A worthy winner and runner up! Excellent entries.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Is too obvious and I forgot to trim the image. I actually do like those images on the Kindle kerp screen.

I was tempted to remove the poster, only four bits of tape, but there were loads ofbpeople around.

Too obvious...

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Lark

Worthy winner and runner up, should have been a tie ! Thought and work gone into both. Novel challenge with excellent results. Looking forward to next.

Dave

Still want to know where Fr Bruno found the Ice Age Venus/Gorgon!

Biggus Dickus

Congratulations Hermes, love your work, very excellent job...your winning photo was the first one I voted on. Also like your entries xSP, congratulations on a close 2nd place.

This was a fun challenge, and I liked all of the entries,...took me a while to whittle down my votes. Good job everyone 8)

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

xSilverPhinx

Congratulations on the excellent photo, Hermes!  :clapping: This was a fun challenge, and I agree with Father Bruno, it was difficult voting for just 5 of them! :smilenod:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Gargoyle on a church at Pilton in Somerset, UK

Glastonbury Tor, taken from the area where the Glastonbury Festival is held

Bumblebee in a lavender field in Norfolk, UK

Osmington White Horse near Weymouth, Dorset
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

My photos:

Scrabble. I don't even like scrabble.  :P

A quote I like on a wall of my mother's English school. 

I found this in a store, which I liked because I like to work from home.

This is supposed to be a DNA double helix. I had planned to do better but was in a bit of a hurry that day. The nucleotides C,G, A and T make up the hereditary basis for life (if you don't consider viruses to be alive). 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dave on November 27, 2017, 08:42:17 PM

Sorry I took so long to respond to your post Dave.

That picture was taken in Northern Michigan at a place which was originally called the "Eco Learning Center".

The founder of the center was an amazing woman named Jayne Leatherman Walker who wanted to teach people how to grow organic food, building natural shelters, use alternative energy, and develop a sustainable community. Her vision of The Eco-Learning Center was to observe, understand, practice, and live in relationship with the Earth.

This was one of the buildings she had built on the property while she lived there, and it used as a small barn or storage room.

After her death the land was and buildings were taken over by her daughter and a small group of friends and renamed as "Burning Barn Farm". They now operate this as a "CSA" ( Community Supported Agriculture) as well as an artist colony and retreat center

I actually spent the night there one time in a wooden "Yute" they have on the property.

Will have to dig around and see if I can find more pictures I have of the Farm.

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on December 27, 2017, 08:16:51 PM
Quote from: Dave on November 27, 2017, 08:42:17 PM

Sorry I took so long to respond to your post Dave.

That picture was taken in Northern Michigan at a place which was originally called the "Eco Learning Center".

The founder of the center was an amazing woman named Jayne Leatherman Walker who wanted to teach people how to grow organic food, building natural shelters, use alternative energy, and develop a sustainable community. Her vision of The Eco-Learning Center was to observe, understand, practice, and live in relationship with the Earth.

This was one of the buildings she had built on the property while she lived there, and it used as a small barn or storage room.

After her death the land was and buildings were taken over by her daughter and a small group of friends and renamed as "Burning Barn Farm". They now operate this as a "CSA" ( Community Supported Agriculture) as well as an artist colony and retreat center

I actually spent the night there one time in a wooden "Yute" they have on the property.

Will have to dig around and see if I can find more pictures I have of the Farm.

How, er, strange! The similarity with a stone age "Venus" is evident but may also be coincidental. It seems that the brains of certain animals look similar viewed from above but not sure about plants.