News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

The Dave Phenomenon

Started by Dave, November 02, 2017, 10:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

David has been a significant name since a certain short-arse slew a big-arse and eventually became the head honcho. But then it languished in recorded history somewhat it seems, searching on "historical Davids" produces only pages referring to the above bloke. However the name still evokes the little bloke triumphing even in non-religious people.

I related once that, in a class of 21, we had 11 Dave's - all of a similar age.

One of our, very short term, kings dumped his given name, David, and took on Edward. Then he wanted to marry a Yank divorcee - just not the done thing for British kings! So he jacked in the job and lived happily ever after, sort of.

It was once a fahion over here to put you name, and that of your sqeeze, in stick-on plastic letters at the top of your car windshield. Of the ones I saw "Dave" appeared three times, with "Sharon" (another good Hebrew name), on three different cars within a ten mile radius. Whether  this Dave was a multi car owner or Daves are especially attracted to Sharons I am not sure (I have known four Sharons but was only attracted to one, though Sharon Tate scores well!)

Of course Dave has been the butt of endless jokes, you will remember the one below:

But here are a couple mire:

https://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/d/dave.asp

Dave has now ventured into the realm of statistics, or demographics, or sociology, or sumthin it seems:
QuoteAn imbalance: casting a wider net to attract computing women.

For years the problem has been referred to, tongue in cheek, as the Dave-to-Girl ratio

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/22/technology/an-imbalance-casting-a-wider-net-to-attract-computing-women.html

I am sure there are also lots of Elmers, Marvins, Kevins and Normans in the computing world!

This is merely a glimpse into the rich world of Daveness, I am proud to have such an iconic name!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

I've had the pleasure of knowing quite a few Dave's, some I liked and some I didn't. One of my best friends in High School was named David (He didn't like to be called Dave and would correct those who called him that,  and if you called him Davy be prepared for a fist in your face)

We called him "Mars"...(It's a long story)

I actually dated a girl for a short time named Davida, I believe she was Maltese...and when I was in elementary school I had a huge crush on a girl name Daiva, and if memory serves me correct she was Romanian.

My Brother-in-law's name is David, and he's a rather difficult person to like...I tolerate him at best because I want to keep the peace and as a promise to my mother before she died. She said to do my best to stay on friendly terms with him for the sake of my sister, so that his being a total ass-hole wouldn't drive the family apart. So I have done my best to stay not only cordial with him, but try to foster a more personal relationship. My son, now that he is older has done the same and it's worked as "David" has become more tolerable, and seems to understand that his personality can be trying at times. (His first name is actually Ladislaw, but he goes by his middle name of David, so he's not really a true David which should be good news to you real Daves)

A dear friend of mine in the Army was a chap from Kentucky named David Day, so we called him DDay, like the guy from the Animal House movie...he's my favorite Dave.

And out of all of the thousands and thousands of Dave's online you are definitely my favorite!  8)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on November 02, 2017, 12:25:57 PM
And out of all of the thousands and thousands of Dave's online you are definitely my favorite!  8)
Why, thank you, Fr Bruno!  :dance:

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on November 02, 2017, 02:17:51 PM

Yeah, remembered that one - then realised I actually don't know any other Daves! But therecare a lot if us about it seems.

US peak was 1950s and I think it was around then in the UK as well, so in 1944 I was on the upslope. Ranks 38th on babycentre,com currently.

There is a freeview TV channel called Dave, carries golden oldies and repeats of petrol head stuff etc. I might be an atypical Dave if that is the public perception!

Just spotted that it ranks number one for mentions of given names in the KG bible. Not sure if I want to boast too much about that. There was also that Promiscuous Premier David Lloyd-George and, of course, David "Call-me-Dave" Cameron, our last Prime Pratt Minister, famous for, er, now, what was it . . .? Oh yes, ducking out from getting involved with Brexit.

No one

Icarus

One of the few Daves I have known was a high school buddy named David Brown. He had had some sort of early childhood difficulty that resulted in him losing one of his testicles.  He was forever know by his friends as "one cylinder Brown". We called him by that name lovingly. He was an alright guy.

The other Dave that I remember so well was a late night talk show host at radio station WIND in Chicago.  I lived in Tampa Florida and had the most elaborate crystal set receiver and most elaborate outdoor antennae in town. On a clear night I could tune in to Dave Garroway from Chicago.  I was a dedicated fan of that man because he always made good sense to me.  He is the first person that I have heard of who explained the " least degree of acceptance principle".  That was when you assigned a value with a numeric that went from one to ten. Ten being the best possible ranking. 

A long time after that a hottie woman named Bo Derrick made a movie called Ten. She was pretty near to a ten in terms of sex appeal and body structure which had nothing to do with the name Dave. If my time scale is somewhere within the realm of reality, I did like the musician Dave Brubeck who was not in a movie but could sometimes be heard with my crystal set earphones. 

David the giant slayer in the KJV was never given much attention by me.

hermes2015

You could have Davinia as your drag name.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 03, 2017, 03:41:32 AM
You could have Davinia as your drag name.
I like that...Davinia la Divina Diva.  :eyebrow:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Ah, Dave Brubeck: "Take five" and "Rondo a la Turk".

That's jazz, man!

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on November 03, 2017, 04:50:29 AM

That's jazz, man!

Oh yes, that's genius. I have always loved Take Five. Dave, you will probably hate this and call me crazy, but it reminds me of Ionisation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wClwaBuFOJA

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ove6RVGT478
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on November 03, 2017, 06:01:07 AM

That's jazz, man!

Oh yes, that's genius. I have always loved Take Five. Dave, you will probably hate this and call me crazy, but it reminds me of Ionisation:

and

Not by a Dave!

:grin:

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on November 03, 2017, 07:32:25 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on November 03, 2017, 06:01:07 AM

That's jazz, man!

and

Not by a Dave!

:grin:

Mea culpa! Couldn't help myself.
― Charles Eames

OldGit

In my potholing days I was called Dai'r Ogof , Welsh for Dave the Cave.  I painted it on my helmet.

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on November 03, 2017, 09:51:17 AM
In my potholing days I was called Dai'r Ogof , Welsh for Dave the Cave.  I painted it on my helmet.

Never thought of that when I was wandering the underside of the Mendips! Never made it to the ogofs, only the top and middling steep bits of the Glyders and PYG/Snowdon.