News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

HAF Photo Challenge: Alphabet Soup

Started by Recusant, October 13, 2017, 07:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Between them, hermes2015 and Lark agreed on a theme for our new photo challenge: "Alphabet Soup." Use your imagination and it's a theme that is wide open to interpretation.  :)

Up to four photos will be accepted from each member, and you have until the end of the month to submit them. Please send them to me via PM or via the email address in my profile: recusantathaf |at| gmail.com.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Biggus Dickus

This is interesting, and very different from past challenges as it gives the interpreter a fairly wide field to operate under I think...this should be good.

Excellent job you two!  :drink:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dragonia

Gah!!! I have no idea! I'm sure inspiration will hit me at some point.....
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Tank

Quote from: Dragonia on October 14, 2017, 04:39:46 AM
You and me both. Not a clue this time.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on October 14, 2017, 06:44:21 AM

And here. Mental images only so far, might have to get creative.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on October 14, 2017, 07:59:06 AM

I think I've created a monster this time. I thought it would elicit some creative responses, but I also have no clue! Perhaps I should sit this one out, or will I be ostracized for ever?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 14, 2017, 09:14:12 AM
Quote from: Dave on October 14, 2017, 07:59:06 AM

I think I've created a monster this time. I thought it would elicit some creative responses, but I also have no clue! Perhaps I should sit this one out, or will I be ostracized for ever?
Got my first one. Bit pathetic but one of a set that I like!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Lark

It would not be the same without your offerings, Hemes.  I have no idea either so just send something nspirational !

xSilverPhinx

At least I'm not the only one who's finding this a bit of a challenge! I have a couple of ideas but they wouldn't be photos, more like concept art.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: Lark on October 14, 2017, 01:42:25 PM
It would not be the same without your offerings, Hemes.  I have no idea either so just send something nspirational !

Thanks, Lark, I will do my best.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

So Lark and Hermes set a challenge neither had a clue what they were going to submit. Shall we try again?
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on October 15, 2017, 09:08:52 AM
So Lark and Hermes set a challenge neither had a clue what they were going to submit. Shall we try again?

Tank, my feeling is that we should stick to it. My original idea was to suggest a theme that would inspire many different creative interpretations. In the end it may be more rewarding than if we had asked for photos of cute pets, for example. One can think of alphabet soup in the literal sense of edible soup, or in the sense of jumbled signage on a building or a shop front. Another definition of alphabet soup is "a confusing or confused mixture of things". That will probably be the way I am going to tackle the theme, but let's hear what other members have to say.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on October 15, 2017, 09:24:58 AM
Quote from: Tank on October 15, 2017, 09:08:52 AM

Tank, my feeling is that we should stick to it. My original idea was to suggest a theme that would inspire many different creative interpretations. In the end it may be more rewarding than if we had asked for photos of cute pets, for example. One can think of alphabet soup in the literal sense of edible soup, or in the sense of jumbled signage on a building or a shop front. Another definition of alphabet soup is "a confusing or confused mixture of things". That will probably be the way I am going to tackle the theme, but let's hear what other members have to say.
We'll stick with this then.  :grin:

Recusant

In my opinion, there's no need to limit interpretation in any way. While hermes2015 has suggested some excellent, viable routes, one could also choose to focus on one or two or even four letters of the alphabet (along the lines of the earlier "Sssss" theme) and submit photos that are intended to represent them in some way.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant