News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Song of Fire and Ice?

Started by SisterAgatha, October 04, 2017, 08:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 04, 2017, 08:34:00 PM
No way are you an English teacher. You frequently confuse your with you're and it's with its, which are rather basic.

Oh, for a red pen in my hand.

Quote from: Tank on October 04, 2017, 08:35:39 PM
Well I have watched the HBO series and enjoyed it because it's not all sweet and loving. There is a but of bite and comedy passably acted.

I enjoy the series as well, but it's entirely for the actors they've managed to involve.  And the dragons.

As for George R. R. Martin, I think he's a terrible writer, a complete hack.  I can't say whether he's worse than Anne Rice but the two of them are definitely sharing the bottom of the writer barrel.  In my opinion. 

If the Sister really wants to dig into the fantasy writers then I would suggest, in addition to Tolkien:

Ursula K. LeGuin
Anne McCaffrey (not a favorite of mine but did write a lot about dragons)
Ray Bradbury
Andre Norton
Susanna Clarke
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Fritz Lieber
Robert E. Howard (very old school)
Jane Yolen
C. J. Cherryh

And that's just a starter list. 

edited to add Tanith Lee.  Not only an award-winning fantasy writer, but often writes fantasy geared to young adults.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 04, 2017, 11:36:03 PM
As for George R. R. Martin, I think he's a terrible writer, a complete hack.  I can't say whether he's worse than Anne Rice but the two of them are definitely sharing the bottom of the writer barrel.  In my opinion.

I agree he's not among the best out there, but I think he did a pretty good job at creating the GoT universe (not as elaborate as Tolkien's world, of course) while loosely basing his characters and plot on historical people and events, namely those mostly associated with the Wars of the Roses.   

QuoteIf the Sister really wants to dig into the fantasy writers then I would suggest, in addition to Tolkien:

Ursula K. LeGuin
Ray Bradbury
Andre Norton
Susanna Clarke
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Fritz Lieber
Jane Yolen
C. J. Cherryh

edited to add Tanith Lee.  Not only an award-winning fantasy writer, but often writes fantasy geared to young adults.

That's an impressive list! To my shame I've only read Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon, a very long time ago, and loved it.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 05, 2017, 12:47:03 AM

I agree he's not among the best out there, but I think he did a pretty good job at creating the GoT universe (not as elaborate as Tolkien's world, of course) while loosely basing his characters and plot on historical people and events, namely those mostly associated with the Wars of the Roses.   

I'll grant he's imaginative but he has no style.  I've read one of his books (can't remember the name of it, something about vampires on a river boat around the Civil War) and I tried to read the first GoT book but couldn't shake the feeling I was reading something written by a high school junior .  That sort of thing always makes me surly.

QuoteThat's an impressive list! To my shame I've only read Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon, a very long time ago, and loved it.

I think you'd also like Susanna Clark.  Her Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell made a lot of noise when it came out, tho I prefer her short story collection, The Ladies of Grace Adieu.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Bad Penny II

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 04, 2017, 08:06:02 PM
Hello to all you literature buffs.

Hello Agatha.
It's funny you mention Game of Thrones.
I know it wouldn't be proper to ask you for a photo,
I picture Anne Headey from the movie The Actors.
She adopted such a lovely Irish accent for the role.

I hope it's not inappropriate to ask but could you,
please give me an idea of the flow of your day.
If I could look at the clock and think Agatha is
milking the goats or mopping the stone floor,
it would bring meaning to my sad existence.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

SisterAgatha

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 04, 2017, 08:34:00 PM
No way are you an English teacher. You frequently confuse your with you're and it's with its, which are rather basic.

Oh, for a red pen in my hand.

Quote from: Tank on October 04, 2017, 08:35:39 PM
Well I have watched the HBO series and enjoyed it because it's not all sweet and loving. There is a but of bite and comedy passably acted.

I enjoy the series as well, but it's entirely for the actors they've managed to involve.  And the dragons.

If the Sister really wants to dig into the fantasy writers then I would suggest, in addition to Tolkien:

Ursula K. LeGuin
Ray Bradbury
Andre Norton
Susanna Clarke
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Fritz Lieber
Jane Yolen
C. J. Cherryh

Thank you very much for the list. I happen to know Ursula K LeGuinn and think she is simply divine.

I am unfamiliar with the other books. Guesss Ill have to give them a read!

Magdalena

Quote from: Bad Penny II on October 05, 2017, 01:48:26 PM
I hope it's not inappropriate to ask but could you,
please give me an idea of the flow of your day.
If I could look at the clock and think Agatha is
milking the goats or mopping the stone floor,
it would bring meaning to my sad existence.
:snicker:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Recusant

Warm pudding. Hmm, I guess that's usually OK.  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

SisterAgatha

I suppose it is worth me saying that I don't see much "fine" literature written these days.

In the sense that I don't see much from this past decade or so that would be worth teaching in a high school literature class.

A big event that happened in the past decade and a half was the Iraq war. Yet I see no literature written about it, certainly nothing comparable to Tim O'Brien's "The things they carried?"

It seems that the 20th century was chock block with fine writers....but then like..IDK... I look at Oprah's book club or the "best sellers" of the New York Times and Barnes and Noble... and I see rather slim pickings.

If you atheists are "in the know" could you tell me what passes for fine literature these days?

Surely that smutty perv, GRR would not..

Dave

Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 06, 2017, 03:29:18 PM
I suppose it is worth me saying that I don't see much "fine" literature written these days.

In the sense that I don't see much from this past decade or so that would be worth teaching in a high school literature class.

A big event that happened in the past decade and a half was the Iraq war. Yet I see no literature written about it, certainly nothing comparable to Tim O'Brien's "The things they carried?"

It seems that the 20th century was chock block with fine writers....but then like..IDK... I look at Oprah's book club or the "best sellers" of the New York Times and Barnes and Noble... and I see rather slim pickings.

If you atheists are "in the know" could you tell me what passes for fine literature these days?

Surely that smutty perv, GRR would not..

I think "best sellers" are merely a commercial classification - Joe and Joan Average's  choice that make the most money. Sometimes they get it right, as in the Harry Potter series, those (mostly) deserved their top rankings, for both the quality of the English and the story. Those lists, like the critical reviews, I usually ignore.

It is really a case of "researching" authors and stories for me, and finding samples if available. I will admit that with my purchase of an ebook I do miss the wandering round the bookshops, dipping into any title that looks attractive - or my favourite authors.

But it so much depends on which genres you like - I read about 75% science-fiction, 15% fantasy and the rest for the rest in fiction. Take a look at the author who recently won the Nobel Prize for literature, Kazuo Ishiguro, - he has good general reviews.

The books I enjoy most are the really inventive ones and those that make me think.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Dear Sister, I heartily suggest that you visit a local public library. There you will find an enormous collection of books about any subject you might choose. For example you mentioned that you had not seen books about the Iraq war. Go to the library, you will find at least a dozen of them about that subject. I have read at least four of them that concern the Iraq and the Afghan conflicts.

I would suggest that some of the better quality fiction is worth reading. There is an almost overwhelming number of new ones being published every week.  Mostly low end but now and then one of them with some substance.  I am more inclined to read educational and instructional books. Those books would be appropriate for your students because the general idea of high school is to learn. from teachers and books, not just the catechisms.

I will describe elsewhere the marvelously interesting and informative book: Everybody Lies. by Seth Stephens-Davidowitz.  Sub title; Big Data, new data, and what the internet can tell us about who we really are. The author is not some twitter possessed kook. He has a Phi Beta Kappa degree from Stanford and a PHD degree from Harvard. He is actually an economist who has worked for Google and a few other avant- garde places.  The book is about a whole new way of studying the mind....an unprecedented peek into people's psyches. Endlessly fascinating stuff.  The Author is another of those incredibly smart Jews..... he does not mention religion very much except in a statistical way. This would be a treasure trove for your students.

If you want to get some information and infographics on the top ten banned (and challenged) books in the US, go here   This is the American Library Association site   http://www.ala.org 

Sister if you are who and what you say you are then I am in favor of having you as an honorary member of this rather unique group of people who exchange ideas, comments, points of view, humor, and who care rather much about one another.  What you need to do is just join in the fun and exchanges of information without preaching to us. 

You might be pleased to know that one of our members who is held with the greatest respect and highest esteem, is a Doctor of Theology.  She is a christian who lives in a country where it is dangerous to practice Christianity.  We have another Christian who has been a long term member of this sometimes bawdy group. We like him and will defend him right down the line.  So you see we are not the people that are as iniquitous as the hard shell and completely ignorant people of the bible belt ( and misinformed Catholics) believe us to be.  Hang around this place if you can....and learn that we are just as moral and supportive of our fellow man as any of the religious zealots who so quickly and ignorantly consign us to the circles of hell.

P.S. We tend to read a lot of books.