News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

What are you doing for Halloween?

Started by SisterAgatha, October 07, 2017, 04:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SisterAgatha

What are you atheists doing for Halloween?

Funny enough, Halloween is not a demon worshipping pagan holiday at all. It is in fact a Christian holiday, one where Christians honored the souls of the faithful departed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Saints%27_Day.

There are a lot of spooky festivities but that is just an addendum to prepare us to remember the souls in purgatory. The "reason for the season" are the souls of the faithful department, who we must pray for and remember, whether they be family or friends or even strangers passing in the night.

Halloween season is fully on at my school. There are cobwebs and bats hanging from the ceilings of many classrooms and I've already broken out my "witches cauldron" of candy for students who do an extra credit assignment or two!

I mostly wear a habit, but Im really thinking  I should break out my pumpkin or witch sweater sometime soon!

It is such a delight hearing what the children are going to be for halloween. Ive heard so far a lion, princess, hamburger,walrus and all sorts of things. Kids sure have an imagination.

I have heard some discouraging things though.

Some of the 8th grade boys I heard snickering to  each other about how they were going to egg and tee pee houses and go around "trick or treating" with no costume and with big old garbage bags. One sniggers about how how his "old man" kept a bottle of whiskey under the workbench and how it was "free drinks on him" if his friends wanted to stop by that evening.

I felt compelled to go to them, and start to tell them how important it was to behave on that evening, the reason for the season, and my hopes they start "playing by the rules". "Johnny" smiled at me and nodded.. "Oh of course sister..absolutely." Though I don't think he was being sincere.

Later on that day I saw Susan Connors, one of my 9th grade girls laughing to her friends about a halloween party they were going to. I believe it involved some boys from St. Alberts. One said she was going as a "naughty nurse." The other said she was going as a "slut cat". The third said she going as a "Sexy genie". Then they laughed in sort of a horrible screeching way. I just couldn't take it. I marched right up to them and told them how careful they needed to be at that party. Not to drink any booze and to be careful of the boys. They might tell them they "loved them" but at that age...boys after only that ONE THING.

I also told them that their bodies were temples of the holy spirit, and that if they weren't sure their "boyfriends" were the ones they wanted to marry or honor, they might want to think twice about dressing in such a revealing way. They didn't even respond. They just said "Can you hear something noise? It's probably nothing" and walked straight away from me. Girls at that age...can be so catty and mean sometimes....and unappreciative..

I just get so joyous but worried on this day. I will be going to a halloween party my order is sponsoring, and eearly in the evening I might give out some halloween candy.

What plans do you have on this all-hallows eve?

xSilverPhinx

I'll probably wear a habit and pretend to be a nun on online forums. Skip the 'treat' and go straight for 'trick', if you know what I mean.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 07, 2017, 04:17:54 PM
I'll probably wear a habit and pretend to be a nun on online forums. Skip the 'treat' and go straight for 'trick', if you know what I mean.

Damn, mistook "habit" for "rabbit", got to thinking about fluffy tails . . .  Have to wait for Eostre.

(Eye surgery OK, brain surgery needed next.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Recusant

Just to clear things up a bit regarding the Christian holiday of Halloween/All Saints' Day. This is an example of Christians co-opting pagan celebrations as their own. Another is the Christian adoption of December 25 as a holy day. Christians also occasionally took pagan gods and goddesses and transformed them into Christian saints, as for instance St Brigid.

This practice of syncretism characterized the Christian church for much of its early history, and was a clever way of helping to consolidate the spread Christianity into pagan lands.

As for my personal celebration of October 31, I'll probably just have a wee dram of single malt.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

I always thought Recusant would go trick or treating dressed up as a history book. :grin:

(Maybe that would scare a good deal of kids) ;)

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 07, 2017, 05:08:09 PM
I always thought Recusant would go trick or treating dressed up as a history book. :grin:

Naw, homo habilis!

Recusant

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 07, 2017, 05:08:09 PM

:lol: That's a fine idea for a costume, and I'll keep it in mind for the future. I think my favorite costume of the few I've used was 'The Devil's Advocate.'  ;)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

SisterAgatha

I played a little joke on sister bellarmine today  ::)

I asked her what she was going to be for the Halloween party.

She said she would be a witch.

And I said.."no no no... What is your costume!"  ;)

I will have to go to confession for that one!!

Biggus Dickus

I was going to dress up as a priest, but we have a lot of kids in the neighborhood now, and that's just too fucking scary...
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 07, 2017, 08:19:52 PM
I was going to dress up as a priest, but we have a lot of kids in the neighborhood now, and that's just to fucking scary...

Yeah, and you might get arrested for looking like a paedophile.

Velma

I will be at work during the Trick-or-Treat hours.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

I'm spending the month watching all my favorite creepy movies.  Watched "The Uninvited" with Ray Milland just the other day, and am now watching "The Haunting", the original one with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom.  I love Liam Neeson, but that remake he participated in was crap.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

jumbojak

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on October 07, 2017, 11:35:02 PM
I'm spending the month watching all my favorite creepy movies.  Watched "The Uninvited" with Ray Milland just the other day, and am now watching "The Haunting", the original one with Julie Harris and Claire Bloom.  I love Liam Neeson, but that remake he participated in was crap.

I've never seen the original. Might be why I thought the new one wasn't that bad?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

No one

Raising the dead. Partying with Samhain. Desecrating something holy. You know, typical Athiest Armageddon type stuff.