News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Boy Scout Manual

Started by Biggus Dickus, October 03, 2017, 01:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

Have any of you read the Boy Scout Manual?

It is basically the codification of Scout law.

I am sort of curious about it. Apparently is like the Boys version of the Girl Scout Manual. Sort of the distillation of Scouting laws and teachings in a massive book form.

I know there is some controversy about it, but I do not know why there should be?

Are there anyone here who can help?

Seriously...I could post crap like this all day.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Dave

In terms of reliogisity our scout movement dropped any mention of god in their promise about 5 years ago, finally caught up with that aspect of the modern world. I do hope, however, that they are instilling some ideas about critical thinking, self-discipline and reliance, duty, helping others etc.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Recusant

Quote from: Dave on October 03, 2017, 02:21:43 PM
In terms of reliogisity our scout movement dropped any mention of god in their promise about 5 years ago, finally caught up with that aspect of the modern world. I do hope, however, that they are instilling some ideas about critical thinking, self-discipline and reliance, duty, helping others etc.

As could be expected, the Scouts in the US have moved in the opposite direction.

QuoteEagle-eyed Scouts and Scouters have noticed something new in the Boy Scout rank requirements that take effect next year: "tell how you have done your duty to God."

To be clear, "duty to God" has been a part of the Boy Scouts of America from the start. The first BSA Handbook for Boys, published in 1911, says "no boy can grow into the best kind of citizenship without recognizing his obligation to God."

What's new is that beginning Jan. 1, 2016, every rank from Tenderfoot to Eagle Scout (plus Eagle Scout palms) will include a "duty to God" requirement.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dragonia

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 03, 2017, 01:47:21 PM

I am sort of curious about it. Apparently is like the Boys version of the Girl Scout Manual. Sort of the distillation of Scouting laws and teachings in a massive book form.

I know there is some controversy about it, but I do not know why there should be?

:rofl: You're so sassy.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Magdalena

Father Bruno:smileshake: :lol:

QuoteHave any of you read the Boy Scout Manual?

QuoteMaybe this should be merged but I don't really know.

I am ever so terrified of Hell. The fact that other people have gone there and I myself may one day go too if I'm not good.

I almost at times wish Hell doesn't exist, but our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ spoke of it far more than of Heaven.

Can you people tell me why you don't believe in Hell and it's eternity?

You're funny.  ;D

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

I wonder if the Scout manual has changed it scripture on The Gays?   :airquotes:
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

jumbojak

I was never a Scout but as a kid I always wanted to join the Ranger Rick group. The mascot was a cute little raccoon in a Smokey the Bear outfit. I think the organization folded before I came of age.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

Seriously...I could post crap like this all day.
Wait. Is this post for real, or was it a joke?  :scratch:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dragonia

^^^
Sister Agatha in the Talmud thread:
Quote from: SisterAgatha on October 03, 2017, 12:38:14 AM
Have any of you read the Talmud?

It is basically the codification of Jewish law.

I am sort of curious about it. Apparently is like the Jewish version of our very own catechism. Sort of the distillation of Jewish laws and teachings in a massive book form.

Our dear Father Bruno in this thread:

Because some things deserve to be mocked.  :picard facepalm: :puppysnicker:
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Dragonia on October 04, 2017, 12:24:07 PM
^^^

I am sort of curious about it. Apparently is like the Jewish version of our very own catechism. Sort of the distillation of Jewish laws and teachings in a massive book form.

:boaterhat:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

Quote from: Father Bruno on October 04, 2017, 04:28:31 PM
Quote from: Dragonia on October 04, 2017, 12:24:07 PM
^^^

:boaterhat:
I knew it!  ;D
You're good, Father Bruno.
Sister's style is the same in most of her/his posts, isn't it?

Icarus

I was a Boy Scout ...back in the bronze age. I do remember the oath  that promised to serve god and country.   Beyond that oath, there was never any effort to make Christians of scouts. Our aim was to rub sticks together to build fires, learn how to tie various knots, paddle a canoe, swim well, learn basic first aid, and preserve nature in the same condition that we found it.  Scouting was cool for we under advantaged kids. Yes I was one of them.  We also held the American flag in reverence and treated it with great respect.  We were fortunate to be American kids. We were encouraged to know that, as a matter of fact.  All of us did.

I have no idea about what became of the scout creed.  I do hope that it has not been diluted.