News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Hurrican Harvey

Started by Tank, August 28, 2017, 07:13:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 29, 2017, 08:42:17 PM
Over 11 trillion gallons of water have fallen in coastal Texas.  Try to imagine that.

I live 200 miles from the coast so all we got was rain and refugees.

I am trying to think of that in terms of a volume of fluffy clouds. How many cubic kilometers?

Think I'll give up, my brain hurts.

If Trump spends money needed to fix Texas, and maybe Louisiana, and safeguard them against future similar problems (odds on there will be such) on his stupid wall he heeds hanging.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

Quote from: Davin on August 29, 2017, 06:50:52 PM
Quote from: Velma on August 29, 2017, 06:20:21 PM
I'm starting to see people whining about other countries not coming to help despite the fact the US always seems to send aid to others. There are a few problems with that:

A. Other countries have send aid in the form of supplies and people during past disasters.
B. You probably didn't hear about it because it doesn't fit with the American attitude of pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps.
C. There are official channels and procedures for that sort of international aid. They can offer, but it has to be acknowledged and accepted. I doubt that is high on the list of things to do for this administration.
D. Don't go around bad mouthing other countries and then expect them to help out when you need it.

I wonder if Cuba has offered to send in medical teams like they did after Katrina? Of course, we refused the offer but I still find it interesting that they made the gesture and we're willing to send the aid.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 29, 2017, 09:38:20 PM
I'm starting to see people whining about other countries not coming to help despite the fact the US always seems to send aid to others. There are a few problems with that:

A. Other countries have send aid in the form of supplies and people during past disasters.
B. You probably didn't hear about it because it doesn't fit with the American attitude of pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps.
C. There are official channels and procedures for that sort of international aid. They can offer, but it has to be acknowledged and accepted. I doubt that is high on the list of things to do for this administration.
D. Don't go around bad mouthing other countries and then expect them to help out when you need it.

I wonder if Cuba has offered to send in medical teams like they did after Katrina? Of course, we refused the offer but I still find it interesting that they made the gesture and we're willing to send the aid.
I thought I heard that Mexico offered assistance.

Firebird

Quote from: jumbojak on August 29, 2017, 09:38:20 PM

I get the impression Cuba knew we would refuse that and made the offer more as a political gesture, especially when it was obvious we didn't know what the hell we were doing. Not that I doubt they could have helped, but Fidel loved any excuse to tweak us.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

OldGit

Quote from: jjI get the impression Cuba knew we would refuse that and made the offer more as a political gesture, especially when it was obvious we didn't know what the hell we were doing. Not that I doubt they could have helped, but Fidel loved any excuse to tweak us.

That sounds about right.

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on August 29, 2017, 09:41:03 PM
They said they wouldn't help with the wall, but they will help with Harvey.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on August 30, 2017, 03:04:26 PM
Bet there is a whole sub-text under that! "We will help you with your problems even though you treat us like shit."

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester on August 30, 2017, 03:08:01 PM
Bet there is a whole sub-text under that! "We will help you with your problems even though you treat us like shit."

I'm pretty sure that's the message they wanted to send.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

One thing I find heartening is the number of "ordinary" people, including store owners,  who are offering services and opening their doors to those displaced. Food stores cooking and handing out their stock, furniture stores offering beds, people just collecting names to get them on a data base and other large and small jobs. Not all trained or qualified, just started doing it and getting help from the emergency services to do so.

The spirit of civic service is not dead!

Davin

So it made landfall in Louisiana. Estimated to reach Kentucky, but by then it will be downgraded a few times.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ecurb Noselrub

I'm surprised Trump hasn't claimed that the Wall will stop hurricanes, as well.

Davin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 30, 2017, 09:30:16 PM

Trump doesn't care about hurricanes crossing borders....

Dave

Quote from: Davin on September 01, 2017, 06:24:47 PM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on August 30, 2017, 09:30:16 PM

Trump doesn't care about hurricanes crossing borders....
What!? Even undocumented hurricanes!?  :shocked:

Sandra Craft

Those people just aren't paying attention.  Mexico is already sending people and supplies to Houston (Trump rejected their offer, but either the mayor of Houston or the Gov. of TX, I don't remember which, overrode 45 and said they'd take it), and Canada has also offered to send people and supplies but been rejected by some Gov't asshat who told them to just send prayers instead.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on September 01, 2017, 06:53:23 PM

Those people just aren't paying attention.  Mexico is already sending people and supplies to Houston (Trump rejected their offer, but either the mayor of Houston or the Gov. of TX, I don't remember which, overrode 45 and said they'd take it), and Canada has also offered to send people and supplies but been rejected by some Gov't asshat who told them to just send prayers instead.

Perhsps that is part of el Trumpo's "America First" policy. This is an American disaster and he doesn't want forreigners interfering in domestic affairs?