News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Unfinished tales

Started by jumbojak, July 31, 2017, 05:21:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I've been watching a movie called Midnight Chronicles for the last few nights. It's a low budget fantasy movie that's suprisingly good. It has a story with a twist, decent acting, excellent costumes, and special effects that suit the story.

There's only one problem... the movie was supposed to have a sequel that was never made. I watch a lot of B movies and most are either self contained or so comically bad (Troll 2 anyone?!) that the sequel would ruin what redeming value the movie has. This one has me pretty bummed though.

What movies have you seen that needed closure and failed to deliver?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on July 31, 2017, 05:21:23 AM

I can't think of any at the moment, but in general I find that sequels disappoint, especially comedies. They somehow try too hard to make them funnier or more spectacular. Others are going to disagree, because I am sure one can find the odd movie where the sequel was better than the original.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Arturo

Well this wasn't a movie but a 5 releases series of video games called "Legacy Of Kain". It has what dwindled down to a cult following now days. The games had great acting, characters, and plot.

The only thing was that they had one bad release so they scrapped the whole thing forever. It's been since 2003 since the final game and the story was left unfunished but beckoned for more.

It was about these characters "kain" and "raziel". Kain was a human turned vampire who's mission was to restore these magic pillars that kept the world healthy but instead damned it all by refusing to sacrifice himself for the final pillar to be restored. He instead built an empire upon the pillars and birthed his son "raziel" as his first lieutenant.

As time goes on the vampires "evolve" by recieving new features but kain was always first and then his lieutenants follow. However, raziel undergoes an evolution before kain and has wings. Kain tears them off and sends him to the "abyss" - a whirlpool of water, which is toxic to vampires. He wakes up at the bottom of the lake, after countless millennia, in the underworld where the elder god speaks to him. He teaches raziel to move between the spiritual and material world and use those to move further in the game.

The rest of the series contains raziel trying to get revenge on kain. While Kain is moving forward with a plan to free himself and raziel from their fateful, predetermined dimise.

There is some time traveling involved in the later games that make it sort of i interestibg but hard to tell without having played them.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Arturo

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 31, 2017, 05:52:41 AM

I can't think of any at the moment, but in general I find that sequels disappoint, especially comedies. They somehow try too hard to make them funnier or more spectacular. Others are going to disagree, because I am sure one can find the odd movie where the sequel was better than the original.

Most older people I know find that the original films are always their favorite.

I look at the 2nd matrix movie as the proper way to do a sequal. The first movie was about him becoming the one and the second he is already the one.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Tom62

Some of my favourite sequals:

Terminator 2
Back to the Future 2
The Empire Strikes Back
Aliens

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

jumbojak

Quote from: Arturo on July 31, 2017, 06:03:46 AM
Well this wasn't a movie but a 5 releases series of video games called "Legacy Of Kain". It has what dwindled down to a cult following now days. The games had great acting, characters, and plot.

The only thing was that they had one bad release so they scrapped the whole thing forever. It's been since 2003 since the final game and the story was left unfunished but beckoned for more.

It was about these characters "kain" and "raziel". Kain was a human turned vampire who's mission was to restore these magic pillars that kept the world healthy but instead damned it all by refusing to sacrifice himself for the final pillar to be restored. He instead built an empire upon the pillars and birthed his son "raziel" as his first lieutenant.

As time goes on the vampires "evolve" by recieving new features but kain was always first and then his lieutenants follow. However, raziel undergoes an evolution before kain and has wings. Kain tears them off and sends him to the "abyss" - a whirlpool of water, which is toxic to vampires. He wakes up at the bottom of the lake, after countless millennia, in the underworld where the elder god speaks to him. He teaches raziel to move between the spiritual and material world and use those to move further in the game.

The rest of the series contains raziel trying to get revenge on kain. While Kain is moving forward with a plan to free himself and raziel from their fateful, predetermined dimise.

There is some time traveling involved in the later games that make it sort of i interestibg but hard to tell without having played them.

I remember that game. I got hungry and went to the human city to sip a few souls. They didn't like that very much.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

joeactor

The BSG remake. Should have ended right when they found earth instead of the horrid choices they made for the last few episodes.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: joeactor on July 31, 2017, 11:37:00 PM

The BSG remake. Should have ended right when they found earth instead of the horrid choices they made for the last few episodes.

BSG?  Hoping it doesn't turn out to be something horrifyingly obvious.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

joeactor

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on August 01, 2017, 12:01:31 AM

It's worth watching, but I won't spoil the ending. Some folks are ok with it. I thought the first 90% of the series was excellent.

jumbojak

Battle Star Galactica? Maybe... I'm not sure either...

Arturo

Quote from: jumbojak on July 31, 2017, 06:01:12 PM
Quote from: Arturo on July 31, 2017, 06:03:46 AM

I remember that game. I got hungry and went to the human city to sip a few souls. They didn't like that very much.

Bahaha yeah they will hunt you down for that. But if you are nice they will get on their knees and pray to you if you get near. It's rather hilarious.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: jumbojak on August 01, 2017, 03:01:32 AM

Battle Star Galactica? Maybe... I'm not sure either...
That is correct.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.