News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Happy Birthday hermes2015!!!

Started by Magdalena, July 09, 2017, 06:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 12, 2017, 08:09:56 PM
It's been a while since I did any chemistry but I thought the notation was R and S.
Well, it's been a while. I'll have to look it up. I remember it being left and right, but then if they're using Latin or some other language for the words, it could be other letters. Plus, I've never been good at remembering the names of things.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

hermes2015

Quote from: Claireliontamer on July 12, 2017, 08:09:56 PM
It's been a while since I did any chemistry but I thought the notation was R and S.

R and S are used in a different system whereby one uses a set of unambiguous rules to assign an R or S label to a molecule to describe its chirality. D and L are an older system where (+)-glyceraldehyde is assigned the D label, and other molecules are then labeled using (+)-glyceraldehyde as the reference.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 12, 2017, 03:07:14 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on July 12, 2017, 02:59:35 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 12, 2017, 02:53:22 PM
I like philosophy even though it's all just mental masturbation IMO.

What form does the climax take?

That's a tough one. I will have to consult Michel Foucault. He was an expert.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 16, 2017, 02:23:38 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 12, 2017, 03:07:14 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on July 12, 2017, 02:59:35 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 12, 2017, 02:53:22 PM
I like philosophy even though it's all just mental masturbation IMO.

What form does the climax take?

That's a tough one. I will have to consult Michel Foucault. He was an expert.

:grin:
Why I said that was because he was pretty promiscuous and loved frequenting bathhouses. Very much my behaviour as well in the good old days.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Think I will keep out of the above conversation, I know Foucault about philosophy at that level. Thought he was some sort of swinger.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on July 16, 2017, 03:03:11 PM
Think I will keep out of the above conversation, I know foucault about philosophy at that level. Wasn't he some sort of swinger?

:rofl:
Pretty good pun. Who else got that one? Yes, he certainly was a great swinger. Died of AIDS. Luckily I managed to stay negative, in spite of the odds.

Actually, I have always wanted to try that pendulum experiment.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 16, 2017, 02:50:40 PM
:grin:
Why I said that was because he was pretty promiscuous and loved frequenting bathhouses. Very much my behaviour as well in the good old days.

It seems he was quite busy!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Indeed Hermes Birthday greetings have emerged as a heady philosophical as well as cosmological conversation.  I rather liked the linked  Scientific American article in which Laurence Krause so eruditely replied to his challengers with their philosophical bent. Then Gloucesters' pun with the Focault reference...swinger, was plumb funny.

Keep up the good work folks. You have elevated this thread, hijacked perhaps but elevated nonetheless.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on July 18, 2017, 01:00:40 AM
Indeed Hermes Birthday greetings have emerged as a heady philosophical as well as cosmological conversation.  I rather liked the linked  Scientific American article in which Laurence Krause so eruditely replied to his challengers with their philosophical bent. Then Gloucesters' pun with the Focault reference...swinger, was plumb funny.

Keep up the good work folks. You have elevated this thread, hijacked perhaps but elevated nonetheless.

Wow, thanks for that, Icarus. I love coming here to interact will all my invisible, but real, friends.

It just occurred to me that this group could be a very good setting to do a Turing test.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

hermes2015

― Charles Eames