News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Happy Birthday hermes2015!!!

Started by Magdalena, July 09, 2017, 06:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 11, 2017, 06:18:34 AM
I am very proud that my birthday has triggered such an intellectual thread of discussion.

My dear, hermes2015,

Some parties are just great! This one is one of them. People are relaxed, talking, having a good time.

How many days has this party lasted, so far? Oh, who cares, who's counting!?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Yes, Mags is right. :smilenod:

Just relax and enjoy the party :grin:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 11, 2017, 11:44:45 PM

OK.
Hermes2015, why don't you go first, man...It's your party.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 11, 2017, 11:09:40 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on July 11, 2017, 06:18:34 AM
I am very proud that my birthday has triggered such an intellectual thread of discussion.

Here you go:

Wow, you've got me figured out. I had an awesome childhood - not so sure about the long-suffering people around me, though. I was a precocious brat to say the least.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 11, 2017, 11:44:45 PM

:grin: That photo certainly brings back memories! These days I must say that I tend to fall in with the Lawrence Krauss camp regarding philosophy: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-consolation-of-philos/.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I like philosophy even though it's all just mental masturbation IMO.

Essie Mae

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 12, 2017, 02:53:22 PM

What form does the climax take?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

hermes2015

Quote from: Essie Mae on July 12, 2017, 02:59:35 PM

That's a tough one. I will have to consult Michel Foucault. He was an expert.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

I still wanted to say I really appreciated that one. I suspect non-chemists (i.e., normal people) would find it a bit obscure.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Essie Mae on July 12, 2017, 02:59:35 PM

First the light bulb turns on, then shortly after you have an epiphany.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 12, 2017, 03:11:11 PM

I still wanted to say I really appreciated that one. I suspect non-chemists (i.e., normal people) would find it a bit obscure.

I still have residual memories of organic chemistry that haunt my dreams, among them the chirality of certain molecules, though the way I remember it, its supposed to be L and R, or the Latin equivalent S and D. If so, then that pic has mixed them both.

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 12, 2017, 07:30:03 PM

I still have residual memories of organic chemistry that haunt my dreams, among them the chirality of certain molecules, though the way I remember it, its supposed to be L and R, or the Latin equivalent S and D. If so, then that pic has mixed them both.
I think that was intentional to make it more difficult to get.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Davin on July 12, 2017, 07:57:31 PM

I think that was intentional to make it more difficult to get.

It's been a while since I did any chemistry but I thought the notation was R and S.

joeactor

Wait... what'd I miss?

Oh!

Happy Birthday Hermes! (unfashionably late)

hermes2015

This was always quite interesting to teach undergraduates when I was an academic. Some found it very difficult to think in three dimensions, while others had no problem at all. Organic chemistry is really miniature architecture, which is probably one of the reasons I became an organic chemist. One very often finds that organic chemists love art, especially sculpture. I have met some very good amateur artists who were organic chemists.
― Charles Eames